The Digital Lab Africa invites applications for projects open to anyone from the field of digital content creation: artists, producers, designers, start-ups, SMEs, collectives, students or entrepreneurs, based in Sub-Saharan Africa or a national of a country in this region.
Digital Lab Africa (DLA) is a platform and a call for projects dedicated to creative content linked with innovation in Africa (web creation, virtual reality, video game, animation, digital music). The very idea of DLA is to incubate next-gen creative talent by offering them a springboard to jump-start and accelerate their projects with the support and expertise of DLA ecosystem (studios, events, producers, broadcasters, distributors, experts, incubation venues…) from France and Sub-Saharan African countries.
The call targets developing projects, in need of partners and financial support, innovative projects from the perspective of form, narration, content and technologies used, in one of the 5 categories of multimedia production: web creation, virtual reality, video game, digital music and animation.
Worth of Award
- A cash prize to the value of 42,000 rands will be paid to the winners of each category.
- It is aimed at developing the selected project.
- It should be used exclusively towards this end unless explicitly agreed by the organizers.
- The prize will be paid in two installments (50% before the DLA residency program and 50% after the residency program).
- Participants at the Digital Lab Africa platform must be residents or nationals of one of the subSaharan African countries: South Africa, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Mauritania, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Sao Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- The projects can be submitted by a candidate who does not live in sub-Saharan Africa on condition that this candidate is a national of one of the countries of this region. In this case, the project development and production should be mostly implemented in a sub-Saharan African country.
- Minimum age for participants is 18 years.
How to Apply
1/ Fill the online form in
2/ Email the application files (in French or in English) to [email protected]
• Pitch deck / Presentation document (PDF, PowerPoint or Word) including:
– project’s overview, concept, statement of intent…
– development and production schedule, provisional budget, target audience and strategy
• Visual element and/or research document
– Storyboard / mood board / graphics / portfolio / screenplay (for web creation,
animation or VR projects)
– Game design document (for video game projects)
– Any preview, pilot or video demo of the project (if available, for all types of projects)
• A cover letter explaining why you want to be part of the DLA Mentorship & Incubation program
• A resume/curriculum vitae of the applicant and/or description of the company represented
• A picture (.jpeg) of the applicant
Applicants can submit several projects (one application form per project) Applications submitted by two persons working in pairs can be considered. Incomplete applications will not be considered
Deadline: applications close 13 January 2019