Wellcome Sanger Institute in the UK invites applications for the Sanger Institute Prize Competition for undergraduate students from low- and middle-income countries 2022.
The Sanger Institute Prize is an outreach competition for undergraduate students from low and middle-income countries and gives the winner an opportunity to experience the very cutting edge of genomic research.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is one of the premier centers of genomic discovery and understanding in the world. It leads ambitious collaborations across the globe to provide the foundations for further research and transformative healthcare innovations. Its success is founded on the expertise and knowledge of its people and the Institute seeks to share its discoveries and techniques with the next generation of genomics scientists and researchers worldwide.
Worth of Award
- The winner of the Sanger Institute Prize will be offered a three-month internship with a research group at the Wellcome Sanger Institute.
- Travel, living and research expenses are all covered by the award.
To be eligible to apply, applicants must meet all of the criteria below:
- Be from a low or middle-income country (a full list of eligible countries is available below)
- Be studying an undergraduate degree relevant to genomics at a University/Institute in a low/middle-income country at the time of the first stage application.
- This could include any biological science degree, bioinformatics or any degree which includes genomics as a large part of the content
- Demonstrate an active interest in research in the genomics field
- Have a good command of English
- Be over 18 at the time of applying
How to Apply
The 2022 competition will be run as a two-stage process;
Stage one: expression of interest
- First stage applicants are asked to complete a short application form and write an expression of interest detailing their scientific interests and why they want to come to the Sanger Institute. Two academic references are also required at this stage.
- Only applications made via the online application system will be accepted.
Stage two: essay
- Selected candidates will then be asked to take part in stage two of the process, which is to write an essay with a given title.
- The judges’ decision will be final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
Deadline: Applications close on January 7, 2022.