Professor and Mrs. Colin Turbayne established the International Berkeley Essay Prize competition some years before their deaths, in cooperation with the Philosophy Department at the University of Rochester.
Worth of Awards
The winner will receive a prize of $2,000. Copies of the winning essays are to be sent to the George Berkeley Library Study Center located in Berkeley’s home in Whitehall, Newport, RI.
Entries are accepted from individuals worldwide
How to Apply
- For the 2014 competition, submitted papers should address some aspect of Berkeley’s philosophy.
- Essays should be new and unpublished and should be written in English and not exceed 5,000 words in length.
- All references to Berkeley should be to Luce/Jessop, and an MLA or similar standard for notes should be followed.
- Submissions are blind reviewed and will be judged by members of a review board selected by the Department of Philosophy at the University of Rochester.
- Submissions can be sent electronically to [email protected] or by post mail to:
Chair, Department of Philosophy
University of Rochester
P.O. Box 270078
Rochester, NY 14627-0078
Deadline: The next deadline for submitting papers is November 1, 2014
The winner will be announced March 1, 2015
For more information, click here.