ITU and Telefónica call for entries for the 2013Green ICT Application Challenge to uncover innovative ICT approaches and applications towards addressing global environmental issues in cities and urban areas. This is in support of the “World Environment Day” (WED) and to follow up on the Paris Call to Action on “Smart Sustainable Cities”,
The challenge seeks to understand how one can face the challenge of a growing population and meet the rising demand of resources and services, and how cities need to move towards a path of sustainable growth and development, while remaining respectful of the environment.
Worth of Awards
- A cash prize of 5,000 USD will be awarded to the winner of the Challenge.
- In addition, the winner will be invited to present his/her paper in September 2013 during the 3rd ITU Green Standards Week to be held in Madrid, Spain.
- The ITU will provide one (1) roundtrip ticket to Madrid in economy class and accommodation for two (2) nights in a hotel chosen by the ITU. The aforementioned dates cannot be changed. The winner is responsible for any other expenses that are not specified above including, but not limited to, travel insurance and all administrative formalities that might be required for his/her travel to Madrid.
- The winner will be granted a limited one-year, worldwide right and license to use the Challenge logo on their own promotional materials for the awarded application. This right is limited to the use of such logo, in accordance with specific guidelines to be provided by ITU. The present provision does not constitute a license in itself.
- If the winner declines the invitation or ultimately does not attend the Award Ceremony, there will be no compensation or substitution of the prize of any kind. The winner is responsible for all applicable taxes and fees associated with receipt and/or use of the prize. No transfer or substitution of the prize is permitted.
- In addition, a number of submitted applications may be selected as honorable mentions. No award will be given to honorable mentions. Honorable mentions awarded to participants aged between 18 and 26 at the time of entry will be also qualified as shortlisted candidates to the ITU Telecom Young Innovators Competition.
- No purchase or payment of any kind is required to enter or win this Challenge. Participants are therefore responsible for any expenses made in order to submit their(s) application(s).
- The Challenge is open to individuals from ITU Member States . Individuals must have reached the age of majority in their country at the time of entry. Individuals may form teams and submit entries on behalf of their teams. All individuals who join teams must meet the eligibility requirements. ITU staff, staff of the Challenge’s sponsor(s) and members of the Jury are not eligible to participate in this Challenge.
- All submission should fall under the following areas below:
- Energy management
- Water management and sanitation
- Waste management
- Transport and mobility
- Urban palnning, including smart buildings
- Adaptation to climate change
- Smart societies, community engagement and environmental education
How to Apply
- The submission period begins on 20 December 2012 at 12:00 PM Central European Time (“CET”) and ends on 30 June 2013 at 12:00 PM CET. Only complete submissions entered during this period will be accepted. Once a submission is submitted, the participant cannot make any changes or alterations to the submission unless they receive permission from ITU.
- Participants must register via the online Submission Form before submitting their application.
- Following registration, participants must submit their application(s) in English in an electronic format at the following email address [email protected] and include:
- A detailed Concept Paper (maximum of 6,000 words) describing a new and innovative ICT application that would help build Smart Sustainable Cities. The proposed application may be any kind of software tool, platform or game, be it for the web, a personal computer, tablet or a mobile device;
- Screenshots and diagrams illustrating the application’s proposed features and functions;
- An implementation plan for the development of the application;
- An explanation of how the idea would help build Smart Sustainable Cities and provide an ICT solution to environmental or sustainability issues.
- ITU will acknowledge receipt of the submissions by email.
- Participants may enter more than one submission. A separate registration is required for each submission. Submissions must be original, unpublished works that are not currently under review by another contest or journal, be solely owned by the participant and must not violate the intellectual property rights of other parties.
- In addition, submissions must not: violate the intellectual property rights of third parties; be illegal under applicable national and international laws; and depict or incite hatred, defame, abuse harass, stalk, threaten a specific person or social group, incite violence or conflict or otherwise violate the legal rights of third parties (including those of privacy and publicity).
Deadline: The submission period begins on 20 December 2012 at 12:00 PM Central European Time (“CET”) and ends on 30 June 2013 at 12:00 PM CET.
- The winner of the Challenge will be announced on 26 August 2013 on the Green ICT Application Challenge page. ITU will notify the winner via email..