The International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) is accepting applications for its summer 2019 Science Communication Fellowship, which will take place from May 27 to Aug. 30, 2019, in Austria.
The fellow will work in the IIASA Communications Department, assisting with editorial work, web publishing, media relations, event coverage, multimedia, social media, and other communication activities.
The IIASA science communication fellowship is a highly competitive program that immerses early-career science communicators in the dynamic work of the IIASA Communications Department.
The IIASA Science Communication Fellowship, established in 2016, provides the opportunity for one to two early-career science communicators to gain hands-on experience in the IIASA Communications Department each summer.
IIASA research focuses on complex global environmental, economic, technological, and social change that we face in the 21st century. These research findings provide important input to policymakers to shape the future of our changing world. And science communication helps provide the bridge between researchers, policymakers, and the general public.
Worth of Award
- The fellowship runs from June to August and provides a modest stipend for living expenses as well as travel costs.
- The stipend is 4,000 EUR for the three months.
- IIASA does not provide housing or additional funding for housing.
- A Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in science or journalism, and/or current student or graduate of a science journalism program.
- Applicants from all countries are welcome, but IIASA gives priority to citizens or residents of countries in which IIASA has a National Member Organization. They encourage applications from developing countries.
- Experience in writing about science for the general public via blogs, newspapers, university websites, or other outlets.
- Written and oral fluency in English and proven ability to understand complex scientific research.
- Experience with or interest in social media, video, photography, or other multimedia is a plus.
How to Apply
To apply, please email the following documents to Ms. Alia Harrison, Recruitment Coordinator, Human Resources Department, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis at [email protected]
- Cover Letter
- One writing sample of no more than 800 words (longer texts will not be considered) about a scientific topic and aimed at a general audience (e.g., article for a newspaper or magazine, blog post, or op-ed)
- A letter of recommendation
Deadline: The application deadline is 11 January 2019. Incomplete applications or applications received with written samples exceeding 800 words will not be considered.