The Abdulrahman Al Sumait Prize in Kuwait is currently accepting invitations for the Abdulrahman Al-Sumait African Prize 2020 for Education open to nominees from institutions and scientific centres (universities, institutes and centres of scientific research) as well as from competent regional or international and UN organizations.
The prize is to be awarded to individuals or institutions who through their research projects or initiatives have made signiﬁcant advancement within one or more of the following areas:
- Developing new varieties of seeds, crops or livestock which can improve the food security of the poor population in Africa by increasing the caloriﬁc and nutritional value of food produced and consumed domestically.
- Provision of medical staff for the national health care systems (physicians, paramedics and nursing), medicine, pharmaceutical and medical equipment.
- Improving farmers’ access to agricultural inputs, techniques, technologies and markets so as to increase the availability of staple products which form a core part of the diet of the poorest people in Africa.
- Improving farmers’ resilience to climate change and extreme weather conditions.
- Improving marketing and adopting modern business strategies.
- Addressing issues relevant to gender equity in the field of the Prize.
Worth of Award
The award has a value worth of $1,000,000 USD
- Nominations are to be accepted from institutions and scientific centers (universities, institutes and centers of scientific research) as well as from competent regional or international and UN organizations and awards and former winners in the field of the prize or former evaluation members Nominations will only be accepted through institutions or other possible nominators mentioned above.
- The nominated candidates’ research work or projects and initiatives must be innovative and must have achieved high-impact in line with international standards for the prize.
- The submitted work must be of paramount importance in promoting significant economic, social, human resources and infrastructure development in the African continent within the announced field of the prize.
- Submitted research work of a nominated candidate should be composed of studies and applied research, published in referred journals and recognized at a global level within the announced field. The research outcomes need to have been applied after publication in African countries within the past ten Adequate supporting evidence needs to be provided.
How to Apply
- All submissions must be submitted in English. If the work is carried out in other working UN languages, a comprehensive summary of the nominated work in English must be submitted.
- Fill in the prize nomination form and send it along with the scientific production works electronically in PDF format via CD, DVD, Flash Memory or via the Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences (KFAS) Prizes Office email [email protected]. Applications are addressed to the Director-General of the foundation.
Deadline: the nomination form and submitted works must be received before June 30, 2020.