Cambridge University Fitzwilliam College is offering the Kuok Family – Lee Kuan Yew PhD Scholarship for 2022/23 academic year. Applicants are required to apply for available matched-funding schemes within the University and their Department.
Lee Kuan Yew studied Law at Fitzwilliam between 1947 and 1949, and was elected an Honorary Fellow of the College in 1969. Following Mr Lee’s death in March 2015, Fitzwilliam decided to create a permanent memorial to his memory which reflected his strong belief in the power of education.
The Lee Kuan Yew Fitzwilliam Scholarship Fund was established by the Governing Body of Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge, in 2016. The Fund offers opportunities to talented young academics either from Singapore or working in fields with some connection to Singapore and in so doing promotes intellectual exchange between Singapore and the University of Cambridge.
Over the past century more than 150 students from Singapore have come to Fitzwilliam to expand their personal horizons and contribute to their country’s success. As a result, our ties remain close, reflecting shared ambitions and mutual respect.
Thanks to the generosity of our donors, the Lee Kuan Yew Fitzwilliam Scholarship Fund builds on these historic connections between Fitzwilliam and Singapore by investing in the next generation of outstanding young scholars, and the future of our ongoing relationship.
Worth of Award
The Hong Leong – Lee Kuan Yew Masters Studentship
The scheme guarantees a full funding package for the successful student for a one-year course. Applicants are also required to apply for available matched-funding schemes within the University and their Department. Includes all full-time one year Masters courses, with the exception of MBA, MFin and PGCE.
The Kuok Family – Lee Kuan Yew PhD Studentship
The scheme guarantees a full funding package for the successful student, for three years, subject to annual review. Applicants are required to apply for available matched-funding schemes within the University and their Department.
Students must fulfil at least one of the following criteria (it is not necessary to meet all three):
- That their research requires or enables them to undertake part of their study in Singapore,
- That they are participating in an academic project involving collaboration between Cambridge University and a university in Singapore,
- That their academic research is clearly related to areas of research close to the interests of Lee Kuan Yew and the future development of Singapore.
Studentships supported by the Fund are open to applicants regardless of nationality or subject, so long as they meet the stated requirements.
How to Apply
- Are required to apply for all available University funding;
- May apply to any of the University’s colleges as their first choice. Studentship winners will be required to transfer College membership to Fitzwilliam College before the start of their course; and
- Are required to upload a pdf of their University application form as part of the Studentship application process.
Referees will be contacted by the College after the closing date.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified in February, with interviews to be held (in person, or via Skype) in early March.
Deadline: Applications close December 3