The School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences (PPLS) at the University of Edinburgh in the UK offers a number of Language Sciences PhD Scholarships for programmes starting in the 2020/21 academic year.
The Language Sciences PhD scholarships are available to postgraduate students intending to study for a PhD within PPLS on either a full or part-time basis. The awards are offered on a highly competitive basis and are subject to annual renewal.
Applications are welcome from students applying to study in any of the three subject areas: Philosophy, Psychology and Linguistics & English Language (LEL)
They encourage projects in the following areas:
Crowd Psychology: Using principles of group identity to improve crowd safety in emergencies and at mass events by exploring the role of group identity on feelings of safety, empowerment, and well-being. More broadly, examining underlying prejudice and stigmatization (and how these can be overcome), the role of collective action and efficacy in political change, and antecedents to political behaviour.
Neuroscience of language: Investigating cognitive control of semantic memory and natural speech, particularly declines in these abilities in healthy aging and neurodegeneration.
Worth of Award
- These scholarships are funded by the School of PPLS.
- The award provides full-time tuition fees (UK/EU or overseas level) with an annual stipend of £14,553 for three years (pro rata for part-time students)
- The successful applicant will have a very good undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline and ideally will have, or will be studying for, a postgraduate masters degree (or equivalent).
- Existing doctoral researchers (i.e. those in their 1st or 2nd year of doctoral study) are not eligible for this award.
How to Apply
- Read further information specific to subject areas.
- PhD Philosophy
- PhD Psychology
- PhD Linguistics & English Language
- Complete the application for the relevant PhD programme.
- Apply to the relevant PhD programme by the deadline. All complete PhD applications received by these deadlines will be considered for the scholarships. There is no additional application form, you will be automatically considered.
Deadline: applications for Language Sciences PhD Scholarships close November 25, 2019.