Zonta International Foundation invites applications for the Amelia Earhart Fellowships for Women for the 2022/23 academic year.
Globally, women make up around 25 percent of the workforce in the aerospace industry. In an effort to carry out its mission that women have access to all resources and are represented in decision-making positions on an equal basis with men, Zonta International offers the Amelia Earhart Fellowship.
The Amelia Earhart Fellowship was established in 1938 in honour of famed pilot and Zontian, Amelia Earhart. The Fellowship is awarded annually to up to 35 women pursuing Ph.D./doctoral degrees in aerospace engineering and space sciences. It may be used at any university or college offering accredited post-graduate courses and degrees in these fields.
Since the program’s inception in 1938, Zonta has awarded 1,638 Amelia Earhart Fellowships, totaling more than US$10.6 million, to 1,209 women representing 73 countries.
Their Fellows have gone on to become astronauts, aerospace engineers, astronomers, professors, geologists, business owners, heads of companies, even Secretary of the US Air Force.
Worth of Award
It is anticipated that 30 Fellowships of US$10,000 each will be awarded in 2021.
- Women of any nationality pursuing a Ph.D./doctoral degree who demonstrate a superior academic record in the field of aerospace-applied sciences or aerospace-applied engineering are eligible.
- It is imperative that students be registered in a full-time Ph.D./doctoral program and have completed at least one year of that program or have received a master’s degree in an aerospace-applied field at the time the application is submitted.
- Applicants must not graduate from their PhD or doctoral program before April 2022.
- Please note that post-doctoral research programs are not eligible for the Fellowship.
- Classified members (club members and individuals with direct membership with Zonta International) and employees of Zonta International and Zonta International Foundation, and their family members (ancestors, descendants, adoptees, siblings, nieces or cousins, and those of their spouse or cohabiting partner), are not eligible to apply for the Fellowship.
- Note that previous Amelia Earhart Fellows are not eligible to apply to renew the Fellowship for a second year.
How to Apply
- To apply for the Amelia Earhart Fellowship, visit their website. See link below.
Deadline: applications Close November 15, 2021.