Edith Cowan University Australia invites academically outstanding candidates to apply for either Doctoral degree (PhD) or Master’s by research at University for the 2014-2015 academic year. The International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) is fully-funded and open to all international students.
Selection for a postgraduate research scholarship is based on academic merit and research capability within the University’s research strengths as successful applicants typically have first class honours or have completed a Master degree by research with additional research output such as research publications and/or successful research grant applications and research experience.
Worth of Awards
- $26,000 per year (tax free) stipend/living allowance plus tuition fees and overseas health cover paid would be paid to the successful applicant fortnightly via Electronic funds transfer
- The scholarships provide the recipient with tuition fees and health care cover for the duration of their research degree.
- In addition, each successful IPRS recipient will be offered an ECU International Stipend (ECUIS) to meet living costs for the same period.
- 1-2 years for a Master by research dependant on course length
- Up to 3 years for a Doctor of Philosophy (PHD)
Applicants should have completed at least four years of tertiary education study at a high level of achievement for example:
- Four year degree (e.g. Engineering or Law)
- Three year degree and one of the following:
- Honours year
- one year of a higher degree
- one year of a Masters preliminary or other qualifying programme
- Postgraduate diploma
The awardees should also have:
- Completed a Bachelor Degree with First Class Honours, or be regarded by the ECU as having an equivalent level of attainment
- Must have their course application for study in the PhD or Master by research programme approved by ECU before being considered for an offer of a scholarship
Where an offer of a place in the course is conditional, an applicant is normally not eligible for scholarship consideration until that condition has been met.
- The intention to undertake study in a course and research topic within one of the University’s areas of research activity
To be eligible Applicants must not have previously gained or currently hold any of the following:
- Research doctorate, which is deemed the equivalent of an Australian research doctorate degree
- Master by research degree if seeking admission to Master by research degree
- Another substantial scholarship provided by ECU (e.g., faculty, school or research centre scholarship) or an external provider
Additional Eligibility requirements for International Students
- meet international student visa requirements as specified by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship, including the requirement to purchase and maintain a standard Overseas Student Health Cover policy approved by the Department of Health and Ageing
- meet all University admission requirements, including English proficiency, and be made an unconditional offer of a place in a higher degree by research (either a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or Master by research)
- not currently be receiving a scholarship provided by the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID) or have completed an AusAID scholarship within the last two year
- Information for Current Honours and Master by research students
Students currently enrolled in their qualifying Honours or Master by research degree must ensure that their thesis is submitted in sufficient time * for an examination result to be available for the scholarship round
International students in Higher degree research (including Masters by Research), in any faculty and school on full-time on campus
How to Apply
You need to follow these steps to apply for a scholarship for a Masters by Research, Professional Doctorate or Doctor of Philosophy course (Higher Degree by Research):
- Before you apply for a scholarship, you must apply for admission into a Higher Degree by Research course
- They encourage all applicants to read the Scholarship Conditions: APA, ECU-PRS and ECU Research Excellence Awards to understand the application process, selection criteria and the requirements on them as scholarship recipients
- Complete the Scholarship Application including:
- Outline of your research topic
- Information on your research publications or research grants you have received.
- Academic Referees to support your scholarship application, using the PG Academic Referee Report .
Submit your scholarship application and documentation by the closing date for the scholarship:
By email: [email protected]
Research Scholarships Officer
Edith Cowan University
270 Joondalup Drive
Joondalup, Western Australia, 6027
It is important to ensure your application includes as much information as possible together with the supporting documentation as following the closing date, additional documents cannot be added to an application.
- Referee Reports – It is highly recommended that each applicant make arrangements for the provision of two (2) academic referee reports. Academic Referee Reports may be used in the assessment process of a scholarship application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that referee reports are returned to the Research Scholarships Officer by the scholarship closing date.
- Documents in a language other than English It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all documentation presented in a foreign language is also accompanied by an authorised English translation. This means that applicants must provide copies of the qualification or documentation in the original language and an official English translation.
Deadline: Closing date for applications is 31 August 2013
For more information, click here.