Médicos del Mundo invites applications for the Luis Valtueña International Humanitarian Photography Award to denounce the situation of millions of people in the World in 2019.
By giving this prize the proper name of the photographer and cooperator Luis Valtueña, tribute is paid to his memory and that of three other cooperating members of the association who were murdered in Rwanda (1997) and in Bosnia (1995) when they were carrying out actions humanitarian
This award also wants to highlight human values and evidence all kinds of violations of people’s rights. Doctors of the World is firmly committed to documentary photography to raise awareness among the general public and promote social mobilization, in order to contribute to the eradication of the worst of diseases: injustice.
Worth of Award
- A unique prize will be awarded. The winning person will receive a work grant of 6,000 euros (raw amount, the corresponding withholding will be applied depending on the nationality and the situation of the beneficiary) to make an in-depth report consisting of at least 50 photographs and how many pieces of video and/or audio it considers pertinent, around some of the lines of work of Doctors of the World, being able to be carried out in any of the countries in which the organization develops programs of humanitarian action and/or cooperation to the development.
- The amount of the scholarship will be the maximum amount which will cover each and every one of the expenses of the project. Once the terms of the project have been agreed, Doctors of the World will not request economic justification of these expenses that will be paid by the winner.
- The scholarship will be effective in three payments: 50% after the jury’s decision, 25% at the beginning of the project and the remaining 25% at the end of the project.
- Photographers and photographers of any nationality, of legal age and related to the documentary approach, may participate.
- The workers of Doctors of the World, nor their relatives up to the first degree of consanguinity will not be able to concur to this call. Neither may the members of the jury, nor the technical team directly linked to the Prize, nor their relatives to the first degree of consanguinity.
- The photographs must narrate or tell a story related to these topics: humanitarian action, international cooperation, social exclusion, human rights violations, armed conflicts, natural disasters, refugee and immigrant populations or socially excluded groups.
How to Apply
- Each applicant may submit a single application to this call. The documentation must be completed in Spanish, English or French.
- All requests must be sent to the email [email protected] exclusively through the WeTransfer platform, as a message or as a link. If you choose the second option, in the subject of the message it should read: XXIII LUIS VALTUEÑA PRIZE + NAME AUTHOR / A.
The following documentation must be attached:
- A photographic series of maximum ten images. At least 30% of the total of the series must have been made between January 2019 and October 2019 and not have been presented in previous editions of the Prize.
- Photographs must be presented in digital format, such as JPEG images (* .jpg) with an average quality of 5000 pixels in the longest dimension and 72 dpi/dpi resolution, using the Adobe RGB (preferred) or sRGB colour space. The weight of each file should not exceed 3 MB. Each image must have a title in the metadata / exif field of the file. The name of the author should not be included in the titles of the images or exif fields.
- The original structure of the digital image can only be altered by darkroom techniques such as brightness, contrast and colour adjustments, overexposure and sub-exposure. No other change in the original digital image will be allowed.
- Only photographs of a single frame (single frame) will be accepted. Photomontages and multiple exhibitions will be excluded from the contest. In case of doubt as to a possible digital alteration of the image outside of the permitted in the bases of this prize, the organization reserves the right to request the participants the original file of the photograph without retouching, as it was recorded by the camera, or a scanned and untreated, negative copy or slide.
- Form duly completed
Deadline: applications close at 24.00 Spanish continental time on November 8, 2019.