The University Grants Committee in Partnership with the Research Grants Council (RGC) is inviting applications for the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme for International Students in China 2020.
Established in 2009 by the Research Grants Council (RGC), the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) aims at attracting the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their PhD programmes in Hong Kong’s universities.
The aim of the Research Grants Council (RGC) is to invite and receive, through the institutions of higher education, applications for research grants from academic staff and for the award of studentships and post-doctoral fellowships; to approve awards and other disbursements from funds made available by the SAR Government through the UGC for research; to monitor the implementation of such grants and to report at least annually to the SAR Government through the UGC.
Worth of Award
The benefits of the PhD Fellowship Scheme
- An annual stipend of HK$309,600 (approximately US$39,700) and a conference and a research-related travel allowance of HK$12,900 (approximately US$1,700) per year for each awardee for a period up to three years.
- 250 PhD Fellowships will be awarded in the 2020/21 academic year.
- For awardees who need more than three years to complete the PhD degree, additional support may be provided by the chosen universities.
To be considered eligible applicants must;
- Be seeking admission as new full-time PhD students in Hong Kong universities funded by the University Grants Committee (UGC).
- Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability/potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
- Irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience and ethnic background, should be eligible to apply.
How to Apply
To apply for the PhD Fellowship Scheme;
- Eligible candidates should first make an Initial Application online through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Electronic System (HKPFSES) to obtain an HKPFS Reference Number by the deadline before submitting applications for PhD admission to their desired universities.
- Applicants may choose up to two programmes/departments at one or two universities for PhD study under HKPFS 2020/21.
- They should comply with the admission requirements of their selected universities and programmes.
- As the deadlines for applications to some of the universities may immediately follow that of the Initial Application,
- Candidates should submit initial applications as early as possible to ensure that they have sufficient time to submit applications to universities.
Deadline: Applications close December 2, 2019, at Hong Kong Time 12:00:00