The University of Amsterdam in Netherlands invites applications for the PhD positions for 2018/ 2019 academic year.
The Van ‘t Hoff Institute for Molecular Sciences (HIMS) is one of eight institutes of the Faculty of Science. HIMS performs internationally recognized chemistry and molecular research, curiosity driven as well as application driven. This is done in close cooperation with the chemical, flavor & food, medical and high-tech industries. Research is organized into four themes: Sustainable Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry and Molecular Photonics.
On a regular basis our researchers receive research grants to hire PhD candidates or post-doctoral researchers. The formal process of granting a project takes some time. Therefore group leaders often know that there will be a vacancy in the near future. For these future positions we are looking for excellent PhD candidates on a regular basis and we welcome application letters from enthusiastic and ambitious people.
Worth of Award
- The appointment will be on a temporary basis for a period of 4 years (initial appointment will be for a period of 18 months and after satisfactory evaluation this can be extended to a total duration of 4 years) and should lead to a dissertation (PhD thesis). They will draft an educational plan, including attendance of courses and (international) meetings. You are also expected to assist in teaching of undergraduate students.
- Based on a full-time appointment (38 hours per week) the gross monthly salary will range from €2,266 in the first year to €2,897- in the last year. The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities is applicable. There are also secondary benefits, such as an 8% holiday allowance per year and an end of year allowance of 8.3%.
A Master degree in chemistry or related science is required. For all groups the ability to collaborate and adapt in an international team is highly preferable and candidates must possess good communication skills in oral and written English. Due to limitations in recruitment budget they will only consider candidates that are currently in Europe.
HIMS research is carried out within the following research groups:
- Analytical Chemistry
- Computational Chemistry
- Computational Polymer Chemistry
- Heterogeneous Catalysis and Sustainable Chemistry
- Homogeneous, Supramolecular and Bio-Inspired Catalysis
- Industrial Sustainable Chemistry
- Molecular Photonics
- Synthetic Organic Chemistry
For more information you may contact the group leader directly via the contact details mentioned at the specific website.
How to Apply
Applications must include:
- a curriculum vitae;
- a motivation letter (why did you choose to apply for a position in this particular group);
- and two letters of recommendation by academic referees.
- All these should be grouped in one PDF attachment. You can only apply by sending your application to the group leader of the HIMS group where you would like to work. The group leader will only reply if sufficient overlap and synergy is detected. If so, you can upload your formal application using the link below.
- To process your application immediately, please quote vacancy number 18-394. #LI-DNP