The University of Pretoria (UP) in partnership with the Mastercard Foundation (MCF) is currently offering scholarships for high achieving African students interested in studying at undergraduate or postgraduate levels, commencing in January 2019.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) targets academically talented yet economically disadvantaged young people in Africa who will contribute to the transformation of the continent through their knowledge, skills, attitudes and values evidenced by their leadership. Community service and internships are essential components of the Program. The MCFSP offers a full scholarship to selected students who have been provisionally admitted to study towards an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at UP. Two thirds of these bursaries will be for postgraduate study and one third will be for undergraduate study. Graduates must return to their home countries on completion of their studies and give back to their communities.
Worth of Award
If your MCFSP application is successful the Program will cover the following:
- Full tuition fees
- Accommodation in a UP residence
- Books and printed material
- A modest monthly stipend
- Medical aid
- Travel costs (one return trip for the duration of the study period)
- Cost of one visa application for the duration of the study period
- Candidates should be citizens from Sub-Saharan African country.
- Applicants should come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and demonstrate financial neediness.
- Candidates should demonstrate leadership potential and ought to be involved in a giving back project eg. in a community, at school, church etc
- Academic excellence is paramount and students have to maintain a high academic average at all times.
- Candidates need to be first time applicants as first year students in the degree programme.
How to Apply
Applications to study at the UP open on 1 March 2018 and close on 30 August 2018.
- Application for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program can only be submitted after a candidate has been provisionally admitted to study at the University of Pretoria. Provisionally an admission letter will be required.
- Step 1: Download the hard copy of the undergraduate or postgraduate application form below.
- Step 2: Submit your MCFSP application from to [email protected] for undergraduates and [email protected] for postgraduates together with ALL supporting documents as stated on the first page of the application form.
Deadline: applications close 30 August 2018.