African Railway Center of Excellence (ARCE) is inviting applications for the MSc and PhD Scholarships at Addis Ababa University in Ethiopia 2020.
African Railway Center of Excellence (ARCE) is one of the African Center of Excellence II projects supported by the World Bank. Through this support from the WB, the center aspires to become a sustainable regional hub for training and research in Railway Engineering and Management, capable of leading efforts to address priority development challenges and improve lives in South and Eastern Africa. The aim of the center is to strengthen railway professionals’ development through short-term training, MSc and PhD level education, and research in Ethiopia and the region at large.
To this effect, ARCE is offering scholarships to citizens in African countries to pursue MSc/PhD studies in Railway Engineering specializing in “Civil Infrastructure”, “Rolling Stock” and “Traction and Train Control” for the 2020/21 academic year.
Worth of Award
- Type A. Full Scholarship only for regional Applicants: Covers monthly stipend (USD600 for PhD students and USD600 for MSc students), tuition fee, health insurance, and transportation cost. The scholarship will be initially granted for one semester and may be extended for those who completed the first semester successfully and for those non-competent student’s monthly stipend may be reduced to 400 USD.
- Type B. Half Scholarship only for national competent Female Applicants: Covers monthly stipend (USD300 for PhD and USD200 for MSc) and tuition fee and for those non-competent student’s monthly stipend may be terminated.
- Type C. Part-Timer Scholarship: Covers tuition fee only.
- Type D. Self-Sponsored Students: Student should cover all the expenses. And have to be stated on the application form (in 2.D)
Applicants have to:-
- Have completed their last degree less than six years ago during the time of application
- Be Citizens of African countries
- For MSc applicants: Applicants should have Bachelor’s degree qualification with at least a CGPA of 3.00/4.00 for males and 2.5/4.00 for females (grading shall be converted to 4.00 scale or at the level of Upper Second Class Honours or above).
- For PhD applicants: Applicants should have MSc degree qualification with at least a CGPA of 3.50 for males and 3.25 for females (grading shall be converted to 4.00 scale at the level of Upper Second Class Honours or above).
Female candidates and candidates from underprivileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- For MSc in Railway Engineering (Civil Infrastructure): Applications may come from engineering subject areas with strong relevance in Civil Engineering including Structural, Geotechnical, and Construction Technology, or related fields.
- For MSc in Railway Engineering (Rolling Stock): Applications may come from engineering subject areas with strong relevance in Mechanical Engineering including Mechanical Design, Industrial Engineering, and Thermal Engineering, or related fields.
- For MSc in Railway Engineering (Traction and Train Control): Applications may come from engineering subject areas with strong relevance in Electrical Engineering including Electronic Communication Engineering, Power Engineering, Industrial Control Engineering, Computer Engineering, Microelectronics Engineering, or related fields.
- For PhD in Railway Engineering: MSc in Railway Electrical, Mechanical or Civil Engineering or related fields
- Place of Study: Addis Ababa University (AAU), Addis Ababa Institute of Technology (AAiT)
- Duration and Commencement: Scholarships are available for two years for Masters and four years for PhD. The scholarship will be initially granted for one semester and may be extended for those who completed the first semester successfully.
How to Apply
- The applicants should submit their document in a single PDF (COMPILED) file through email addresses; – [email protected]
- The application file name must be [applicantname_Field of Study.Pdf] for example jhon_Rollingstock.pdf and application only be complete if the following documents are submitted.
- Filled ARCE 2010/21 Scholarship form (Link for Application form)
- Signed curriculum vitae scanned in PDF; please use the Europass CV template
- Scanned copies of all university degree certificates
- Scanned copies of all university transcripts
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages)
- Academic reference from senior lecturer and proof of employment if applicable
- All the documents listed above should be scanned in a single PDF (COMPILED)
- Applications submitted separately will be considered incomplete.
Deadline: Applications close on September 14, 2020.