#YouAreWelcomeHere Scholarship is open to first-year international applicants of any major to a participating college or university listed below for Fall 2019.
#YouAreWelcomeHere is a welcome message from U.S. higher education to international students around the world. It is a campaign designed to affirm that our institutions are diverse, friendly, safe and committed to student development. Participating institutions and organizations are communicating the message in statements, photos, videos, events and other creative expressions that feature students, faculty, and staff.
Beginning in Fall 2019, participating colleges and universities will each offer two annual, renewable scholarships that cover a minimum of 50% tuition to selected international undergraduates dedicated to furthering the #YouAreWelcomeHere message by bridging intercultural divides. Applicants will answer a short essay question or present a multimedia project about their ideas for advancing intercultural learning and understanding on their future campuses.
International applicants are individuals who hold citizenship in a country outside the U.S. who don’t also possess U.S. citizenship or permanent residency The following schools have made an early commitment to the Fall 2019 scholarship. A final list of participating colleges and universities will be announced in September 2019. For details on a particular institution’s scholarship, please contact the school directly.
- Concordia College (Minnesota)
- Eastern Michigan University
- James Madison University (Virginia)
- University of Minnesota -Twin Cities
- Purdue University Northwest (Indiana)
- Seattle University
- Shoreline Community College (Washington)
- Temple University (Pennsylvania)
- Western New England University (Massachusetts)
Worth of Award
Scholarships cover a minimum of 50% tuition to selected international undergraduates
First-year international applicants of any major to a participating college or university. International applicants are individuals who hold citizenship in a country outside the U.S. and who don’t also possess U.S. citizenship or permanent residency.
- Graduation from or attendance at a secondary school outside the U.S.
- Demonstrated interest and initiative in promoting intercultural learning and exchange.
- Applicants who meet the admission criteria and adhere to the deadlines at each selected college or university. Details will vary from school to school.
- Completion of a scholarship application and a 500-1000 wordessay or a two-to-five minute video describing their aspirations to conduct projects, research, employment or other experiences that will advance intercultural learning.
How to Apply
- Students should complete a #YouAreWelcomeHere scholarship application for each selected institution by December 15th 2018* and an essay or multimedia submission explaining how they would like to conduct projects, research, or experiences that will advance intercultural learning.
- If awarded the scholarship, students should secure their award by submitting a tuition deposit at their chosen college or university by May 1st 2019.
- Complete the #YouAreWelcomeHere scholarship application and submit it directly to the participating university or college(s) of your choice.
Deadline: applications close December 15th, 2018