The University of Pretoria in South Africa invites applications for the LLM/MPhil in Disability Rights in Africa for the 2020/2021 academic session. The DRIA programme was launched in 2018 and is the first master’s degree programme in Africa focusing specifically on the rights of persons with disabilities in Africa.
The programme is open to individuals from diverse professional backgrounds including disability rights advocates, lawyers, researchers, social activists and educators. Students will be empowered to develop new legislation, jurisprudence, policy, research, and scholarship to harness the available innovations and opportunities. DRIA explores disability rights from a human rights perspective relying on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) and the newly adopted Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Africa (the African Disability Protocol).
Worth of Award
The eligibility criteria for the LLM/MPhil (SRRA) is as follows:
- LLM degree requirements
The Master’s degree LLM in Disability Rights in Africa degree is open to individuals with an LLB degree or equivalent.
- MPhil degree requirements
The MPhil degree is open to non-lawyers with at least an honours degree in an academic discipline relevant to disability rights in Africa, OR any other qualification in an academic discipline relevant to disability rights in Africa that allows admission to a master’s programme at the institution where the undergraduate qualification was obtained. If that qualification has a duration of less than 4 years, substantial proven practical or professional experience in disability rights in Africa, subject to the discretion of the Dean, is further required.
- Other relevant requirements
Foreign qualifications are subject to South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) requirements.
Applicants must have excellent academic credentials and demonstrate human rights experience or interest.
A maximum of fifteen students will be accepted for the 2021 academic year.
How to Apply
- All applications are handled via the online system Submittable. Please click on the link below to apply for this programme.
- Please note that you have to register on the Submittable system to be able to apply for this programme.
- The following documents will be requested when during your application:
- Previous academic records/transcripts
- Previous degree certificate(s)
- Copy of bio-data page of passport
- A good quality photograph of yourself
- For applicants who did not obtain their qualifications in English: TOEFL, SAT1 or IELTS Test certificate.
Deadline: applications close June 30, 2020.