Department of Information and Communication Technologies, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona invites applications for the Dorcas Muthoni PhD Fellowship open to African female students (only African nationality applicants will be considered) with strong research interests for the 2018/2019 academic year.
This new scholarship is aligned with the university institutional commitment to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), in order to contribute to transform our world.
The Dorcas Muthoni PhD Fellowship will be part of the Doctoral programme in Information and Communication Technologies (ICT), that covers many of the most important research topics in the information society grouped into four main areas: cognitive and intelligent systems, audiovisual technologies, networks and communications, and computational biology and biomedical systems.
Students will pursue doctoral studies in one of the Research Areas of the department which include: Cognition, Computation and Robotics, Artificial Intelligence and Theoretical Computer Science, Natural Language Processing, Ubiquitous Computing, Information Retrieval and Data Mining, Cognitive Multimedia Technologies, Image Processing and Computer Vision, Image Processing for Enhanced Cinematography, Sound and Music Computing, Human-Computer Interaction, Graphics and Educational Technologies, Network Technologies and Strategies, Wireless Communications, Information Theory and Coding, Computational Neuroscience, Instrumentation and Biomedical Electronics, Computational Imaging and Computational Physiology, Analysis of Biomedical Data and Non-Linear Signal Analysis.
Worth of Award
- They offer a predoctoral contract with a minimum gross monthly salary of 996,63€.
- The year salary gets an increase of 6% during the 3rd year and 20% during the 4th year.
- Teaching. PRC includes a teaching assistance load of 20 hours per academic year.
- Start-up Fund. The fellowship will also include a startup/Landing Fund to facilitate the fellow initial expenditure. The fund will be for the amount of 2000€.
- The “Dorcas Muthoni” fellowships/PRC include the annual tutorship fees, but not the administrative fees neither the fees for validations of degrees issued by a university outside the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) without homologation. Fees covered by the fellowship (PRC)
- African female students (only African nationality applicants will be considered) with strong research interests.
- Candidates for PhD positions must hold an M.Sc degree or equivalent.
- Candidate must identify one or several DTIC research supervisor/s with whom she would like to work and contact them to request a support letter.
- Please note, before applying, each candidate must identify one or several DTIC research supervisor/s with whom she would like to work and contact them to request a support letter. Support from a potential research supervisor is a pre-requisite to be able to enter the fellowship selection process.
How to Apply
They are listing below the two applications + motivation letter you need to complete when applying for this fellowship. Please note that both need to be completed at the same time:
- Application to the ICT PhD programme
- Please read carefully the Eligibility requirements
- It is compulsory to submit in your application a support letter from your potential supervisor in DTIC.
- Please complete the application form to the ICT PhD programme
- Application to the Dorcas Muthoni PhD Fellowships
- Please complete the application form for the fellowship
3. Motivation letter.
- The applicant should include a motivation letter explaining her motivation to apply to this fellowship and expected impact after the end of her PhD studies in terms of the ICT gender equality and social impact in Africa, including previous experience .
- PhD application period: April 16th, 2018 to June, 1st, 2018.Notification: by mid July*
*The contracts of the people admitted on this period are envisaged to start at the beginning of October-November 2018.
• For any consults contact to [email protected]
- Excellent Academic record of the candidate
- Motivation letter:
- candidates expected contribution to the promotion of ICT gender equality, including previous experience
- future expected social impact (Africa), including previous experience
Deadline: applications close June, 1st, 2018