United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) invites applications for the Internships / fellowships open to an applicant who is enrolled in or completing of a university or similar educational programme in Communication, Journalism, Information Studies, Media Studies, Social Science, International development or any related field.
UNFPA is implementing a new Strategic Plan 2018-2021 and associated Business Model. The strategic plan reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA, the goal of which is universal access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, focusing on women, adolescents and youth. In accordance with the strategic direction of UNFPA and in line with General Assembly resolution 70/1 on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the strategic plan will seek to ensure that no one will be left behind and that the furthest behind will be reached first.
This internship will support UNFPA Namibia Country Office to implement strategic communication and branding to (a) end unmet demand for family planning; (b) end preventable maternal deaths; (c) end violence and harmful practices against women and girls and (d) end HIV new infection. This will include support in generating evidence, strategic information and results packaging of UNFPA Namibia Country Office’s programmes to improve sexual reproductive health rights of all Namibians especially adolescent girls and young women.
- Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Communications analyst and overall guidance of the assistant representative, an Intern will assist the team in all aspects related to the implementation and roll out of corporate and internal communications initiatives and products, including the UNFPA global branding and communications strategies.
- A work plan with achievements for the duration of the Internship and learning opportunities will be agreed upon.
Worth of Award
- Interns do not receive a salary or any other form of remuneration from UNFPA.
- The costs associated with an intern’s participation in the programme must be assumed either by the nominating institution, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students, or by the students themselves, who will have to meet living expenses as well as make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel and other requirements.
- In addition, applicants must have medical insurance for the duration of the internship.
- Proof of insurance will need to be submitted before the internship begins.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Tasks and responsibilities will include (but are not limited to): Support all aspects of communication including research and vetting, production and management, presentation and promotion, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Support the implementation of deliverables of corporate communications strategies, including the organization and management of initiatives and events and the production and revision of digital and traditional products.
- Conduct research and brainstorm opportunities related to internal communications and branding.
- Write, edit, and upload text and multimedia content, including feature articles and interviews, to online communication platforms including myUNFPA and Voices and the One Voice toolkit and mobile app.
- Support the UNFPA Social Media Team with social media strategies and plans for upcoming events and other social media contents.
- Attend meetings and conduct staff interviews for the production of internal-facing news articles.
- Help organize events related to corporate communications strategies and programmes.
- Support staff to engage in activities and initiatives related to the corporate branding and communications strategies.
- Support the marketing and promotion of the corporate branding and communications strategies and related deliverables.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
Interns should meet the following requirements:
- Active enrolment in or completion of a university or similar educational programme in Communication, Journalism, Information Studies, Media Studies, Social Science, International development or any related field;
- Interest in the field of development especially related to communication and branding.
- Written and spoken proficiency in English;
- Strong communications skills: excellent listening skills and empathy, ability to write clearly and concisely
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software and other related software.
- Demonstrable experience in media communications including social media.
- Prior experience in the social development sector including non-government organizations, government development agencies and UN agencies, either via assignments or other internships, is an asset.
- Ability to adapt to new environments and to establish and maintain good working relations with individuals of different cultural backgrounds.
- Integrity: exercising the appropriate discretion when working with confidential and sensitive matters and information
How to Apply
- Interested candidates please submit your resume and cover letter to Ms. Leatishia Vries at [email protected] mentioning the application for “Internship on Innovation Project.”
- Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview.
Deadline: applications close 10 May 2018 – 5:00pm (Windhoek time)