The Clean Energy Wire invites international journalists to apply for the Media study tour: Germany’s historic coal year 2018.
The year 2018 will be a watershed in the history of coal in Germany: based on a social pact concluded between the government, the trade unions, and mining companies, the country’s last two remaining hard coal mines will shut down by the end of the year. The reasons have nothing to do with climate policy, as hard-coal mining in Germany has long failed to be globally competitive. Following strong pressure by the European Union on the German government to stop subsidising the coal mining industry, the closure also spells the end to an industry that once employed 600,000 people
Worth of Award
Participation in the media workshop is free of charge. All expenses incurred during the workshop, including food, accommodation, and transport, will be covered by the Clean Energy Wire.
- The following funding options are available for travel (train, coach, or flight) to and from Germany:
1.) 100 percent reimbursement (limited contingent)
2.) 60% reimbursement for climate-friendly modes of transport, such as train and coach travel, OR 40% reimbursement for air travel.
- Please indicate via the application form whether you will cover your own travel expenses, or which of the two reimbursement schemes you are applying for. Also consider carefully whether you may be able to access any additional external sources of funding before choosing 100% reimbursement, as fully funded spaces are very limited and competitive.
- Local transport during the workshop will be organised by the Clean Energy Wire. Participants are kindly asked to organise their own travel to and from Germany.
Is there a possibility for individual research?
If you are interested in extending the study tour for individual research, please let us know. We will
support you in finding the experts, stakeholders, and locations most relevant to your questions.
The media workshop is open to international journalists
- with a professional background in energy, environmental, or climate policy journalism
- from countries with major fossil fuel extraction industries
How to Apply
- Please apply by following the application procedure on the Clean Energy Wire website.
Deadline: applications close 5th of May 2018.