School of Data is inviting journalists, data scientists, civil society advocates and anyone interested in advancing data literacy to apply for its 2018 Fellowship Programme, which will run from May 2018 to January 2019.
8 positions are open, 1 in each of the following countries: Bolivia, Guatemala, Ghana, Indonesia, Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania, The Philippines. The application deadline is set on Sunday, May 6th of 2018. If you would like to sponsor a fellowship, please get in touch with School of Data.
Fellowships are nine-month placements with School of Data for data-literacy practitioners or enthusiasts. During this time, Fellows work alongside School of Data to build an individual programme that will make use of both the collective experience of School of Data’s network to help Fellows gain new skills, and the knowledge that Fellows bring along with them, be it about a topic, a community or specific data literacy challenges.
Worth of Award
- Fellowships will receive a modest monthly stipend of up to $1,000 USD a month.
- This is not meant to cover them for full-time work, as this is a part-time role, but they would expect them to dedicate at least ten days of effort for this amount.
- In addition to the stipend, fellows will have access to a small amount of funds to organise local events and travel abroad at least once.
The ideal candidate combines the following skills:
- Data savvy: has experience working with data and a passion for teaching data skills.
- Understands the role of Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and media in bringing positive change through advocacy, campaigns, and storytelling. Fellows are passionate about enabling partners to use data effectively through training and ongoing support.
- Interested or experienced in working with journalism and/or civil society.
- Has some facilitation skills and enjoys community-building (both online and offline).
- Eager to learn from and be connected with an international community of data enthusiasts.
The purpose of the School of Data Fellowship programme is to build capacity among NGOs and journalists. The fellowship programme is therefore not currently offered to government employees.
How to Apply
- To apply, you will have to fill the application form and attach your CV.
- The form is available at this link.
Deadline: applications close May 6th, 2018, midnight GMT+0