UNESCO through its Headquarters in Paris, France (hereinafter “the Organizer”), invites applications for a free-of-charge photo contest on the theme how football promotes and fosters inclusion, unity and tolerance, and overcomes discrimination. The photo contest is only online.
Football is one of the most popular sports on the planet. Many share memories of playing football with friends in the street or in a field, using sticks or lines on a wall for goalposts. According to FIFA, 3.2 billion people watched the World Cup finals in Brazil in 2014. Considering its global reach and its individual appeal, football holds enormous power and potential to bring people of different cultures and countries together.
UNESCO and Juventus call on you to activate this power and spread a message of peace and tolerance through stories of football. Let’s build an online movement where pictures tell a thousand words. All you need to do is send a photo which showcases football’s potential to promote inclusion, overcome stereotypes and overturn discrimination in all its forms. Speak up, share your football story with the world and have the chance to win prizes and be featured in a campaign video.
Worth of Award
- A minimum of 3 winners and 7 runners-up will be selected. UNESCO will publish the results of the photo contest on 12 May 2018.
- Winners and runners-up will be notified directly and their photos and testimonies will be published on social media channels and the web.
- The ten best photos will be included in a promotional video which will be widely disseminated.
- The three winners will receive a Canon DSLR camera (or equivalent).
- Contest winners and runners-up will receive a personalized Juventus shirt 2017/2018 and a football.
- The photo contest is open to everyone regardless of her or his country of residence, except
employees of UNESCO and the partner, Juventus, of the photo contest and their family
members (parents, children, siblings and spouses).
- Minors wishing to participate must provide written permission from their legal guardian(s):
“I, the undersigned Mr/Ms “full name” legal representative of “full name”, authorize
him/her to participate in the UNESCO and Juventus photo contest which runs from 6
April to 6 May 2018.
- No minors’ participation will be accepted by the Organization without their written
- To confirm participation, each participant will have to follow the following instructions outlined below before 6 May 2018, 23h59m59s, (GMT+1):
Photographs will be judged on their originality, creativity, photographic quality and relevance to the theme. The choice will be made according to the discretion of the judges. No appeals will be considered.
Photo composition and format
- Your photo should be dynamic and express movement/campaign messaging
- Your photo should be in colour and in high resolution (minimum 300 dpi)
- Dimensions can either be portrait or landscape, and the format can be either portrait, photojournalism, street photos, or action photos
- Signatures, photographers’ names, or copyright notices should be submitted along with the photo
- Your photo must be sent by email, in digital format, as a .jpg file
- UNESCO reserves the right to modify the contest prizes and its rules and regulations as and when necessary, without prior notice.
- To participate in the contest, the photographer must own the rights of the content he/she is submitting.
- By participating in the contest, the photographer holds the copyright to the photos submitted, but UNESCO retains the unlimited right to use the submitted photos for public information purposes in UNESCO’s fields of competence. UNESCO will only use photos for non-commercial purposes which include education and advocacy materials, website, brochures, reports, flyers, at no cost. The photographers will be credited.
How to Apply
To enter the contest, please send your photo to [email protected](link sends e-mail) along with a 150-200 word testimony (in English or French) explaining how football promotes and fosters inclusion, unity and tolerance, and overcomes discrimination. Please also indicate your first and last name, together with your contact details and your profession.
Deadline: Applications close Sunday 6 May 2018 at 11:59pm GMT+1.