The Intra Africa Academic Mobility Scheme invites applications for the ACADEMY project – MSc/PhD Scholarship open to candidates who are nationals and residents in any of the eligible African countries for 2018/2019 academic session.
The ACADEMY project is designed to provide resources and opportunities for student and staff mobility from four regions of Africa, offering support for Masters, Doctoral and short research, teaching and administrative visits between the consortium partners.
ACADEMY is part of the Intra Africa Academic Mobility Scheme which favors the exchange between higher education institutions in the different African countries. It challenges issues such as gender equality, job shortage, poverty, environmental sustainability and higher education quality. Academy helps knowledge and culture exchange through students and staff mobilities all over Africa.
Coordinated by the Université de Tlemcen, and financed by the European commission under the Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme, the project ACADEMY gathers four other African Higher education institutions namely; University of Cape Coast (Ghana), Kenyatta University (Kenya), University of Ibadan (Nigeria), and University of KwaZulu-Natal (South Africa), as well as a European technical partner, namely Universidad do Porto (Portugal), in addition to two associate partners; Ministère de l’Enseignement Supérieur et de la Recherche Scientifique (Algeria) and the Pan African University for Water and Energy Sciences (Algeria).
Worth of Award
The Scholarship covers:
- Monthly subsistence allowance for the entire mobility period
- Extra allowance per academic year to female students (for mobility equal to or longer than two academic years)
- Settling in allowance (for students only)
- Roundtrip flight ticket and visa costs – for mobility equal to or longer than two academic years, two roundtrip tickets will be provided (arranged by the coordinating institution on behalf of students)
- Comprehensive insurance (Health, Accident and Travel) (arranged by the coordinating institution on behalf of students)
- Participation costs such as tuition fees, registration fees and service fees where applicable (paid directly to the hosting institutions)
- Research costs for students on mobility for 10 months or more (based on actual research needs and dependent on a request submitted by the students)
Applicants for all types of scholarships must :
- Be nationals and residents in any of the eligible African countries.
- Have sufficient knowledge of the language of instruction of courses in the host country.
- Fulfil the criteria of one of the target groups below:
Target Group 1 (TG1)
- For credit-seeking mobility applicants: Students must be registered in one of the five partner universities: Université de Tlemcen (Algeria), University of Cape Coast (Ghana), Kenyatta University (Kenya), University of Ibadan (Nigeria), and University of KwaZulu-Natal (South Africa)
- For degree-seeking applicants: Students must have graduated from one of the five partner universities.
- For staff: Staff must be working in one of the five partner universities.
Target Group 2 (TG2)
- For credit-seeking mobility applicants: Students must be registered in any African Higher Education Institution.
- For degree-seeking mobility applicants: Students must have graduated from any African Higher Education Institution.
List of eligible countries:
Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic (CAR), Chad, Comoros, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- National ID or Copy of Passport Data page
- Curriculum Vitae
- Scholarship Application form
- Certificate of language proficiency
- Proof of employment from home university (for staff only)
- Motivation letter
- Recommendation letter
- Transcript of records
- Proof of registration from home institution (for credit-seeking mobility applicants)
- Certificate of degree from an African university (for full degree)
How to Apply
- Before submitting your application, read through the instructions below and familiarize yourself with the student categories and target groups.
- Applicants are advised to carefully research and select the host institution and study programme of choice, prior to submitting the application.
- The project particularly invites applications from female candidates and disadvantaged groups.
- In order to submit your application, create a new user and then fill in the online application form and attach the required documents. Once the form is completed, make sure you have submitted it within the deadline and that you have received an email confirming the submission is concluded.
Deadline: applications close 15-May-2018 (23:59 CET)