2018 WiSci Girls STEAM Camp is open to Self-identifying girls, ages 15 to 18 at the time of the camp, who are citizens or residents of Ethiopia, Kenya, Namibia, Swaziland, or the United States of America.
Internationally, there is a strong gender imbalance in the STEM fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics. The WiSci Camp aims to help bridge that gap through access to education, mentorship opportunities and leadership training.
The WiSci: Girls STEAM Camp will be held in Namibia, from June 17 – June 29, 2018. The camp will be hosted at the Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST), a university located in Namibia’s capital city of Windhoek. Camp participants will sleep in supervised dormitories and participate in daily STEAM activities in classrooms, all within the university’s grounds. All camp activities will take place within the confines of the university, except for specifically designated off-site excursions.
The camp is a public-private partnership effort between the U.S. Department of State’s Office of Global Partnerships, Girl Up, and private partners like Intel and Google, implemented by World Learning.
Worth of Award
- All selected participants will receive a scholarship to attend the camp free of charge. All costs associated with lodging, food, and activities during the camp are covered through the support of WiSci partners, in addition to transportation to/from the capital city of your home country (origin of departure). Participants can bring a limited amount of spending money for small souvenirs and snacks if they wish.
- Limited need-based financial assistance is available for direct costs associated with travel to the capital city to fly to the camp.
- Self-identifying girls, ages 15 to 18 at the time of the camp, who are citizens or residents of Ethiopia, Kenya, Namibia, Swaziland, or the United States of America and have at least one year of secondary school classes left at the time of camp are eligible to apply. Applicants must also meet the following eligibility criteria based on their home country:
- United States of America
The full application for the 2018 WiSci Georgia Camp includes the following sections and will take approximately 90 minutes to complete.
– Applicant Information
– Parent / Guardian Information
Essays should be submitted in PDF or Word Document format
1) Why are you applying for WiSci? What do you hope to experience at WiSci? What is your vision for sharing your new knowledge and experiences with others in your community back home? (300 words or less)
2) What interests you most about Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math (STEAM)? (300 words or less)
3) Please share an example of a time you used Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Design, and/or Math in a school assignment. Please explain what programs or websites you used for this project, if any. (300 words or less)
4) Please share some examples of your experience as a leader in your school or community, especially as an advocate for gender equality. (300 words or less)
Letter of Recommendation :
Please have the individual writing a letter of recommendation on your behalf submit it electronically at the link here: https://girlup.typeform.com/to/lFTIHs