Fully-funded undergraduate scholarships are now open to international students at American University, USA for the 2015-2016 academic session. The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship promotes educational access and opportunity while enhancing international diversity. Bringing together the best of AU — academic excellence, leadership development, and global engagement — the AU Emerging Global Leader achieves, inspires, and serves with vision. The AU EGL is dedicated to positive civic and social change, and to returning home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in his/her home country.
Worth of Scholarship
- The scholarship provides full tuition, fees, room and board for one first-year (freshman) high-achieving international student who will need a visa to study in the United States (preference will be for those who need an F-1 or J-1 student visa).
- It is renewable for a total of four years of undergraduate study, based on continued satisfactory academic performance. U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents or dual citizens of the U.S. and another country, are not eligible to apply.
- To be considered for the scholarship, candidates must be secondary school students (not university students) applying as first-year (freshman) students for the fall (August) 2015 semester
- Students must apply Regular Decision only and must submit the AU EGLS application, the Common Application and AU Supplement, and all supporting documents by December 15, 2014
- Preference will be given to international students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges as well as those from diverse and under-represented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
The most competitive applicants should have:
- A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent (or in the top 10 percent of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades
- A demonstrated commitment to service and advancing the needs of people in their home country
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, with a minimum 90 TOEFL iBT (with no subscore lower than 20) or 6.5 IELTS (with no subscore lower than 6.0)
- Demonstrated leadership, volunteerism and community service
How to Apply
You are required to submit your application through the online common system. See link below.
Deadline: Application closes December 15, 2014. All application materials must be submitted by this date.
If you have any questions about applying, please contact [email protected]
For information, and to apply, click here
For a link to submit your application online, click here.