The Wangari Maathai Scholarship Fund invites applications from eligible Kenyans for its initial environmental scholarship. The Wangari Maathai Fund is an environmental innovations fund set up in memory of Prof. Wangari Maathai that is aimed at developing action-oriented young people with strong values and commitment to the conservation of the physical and social environment in Kenya. The fund has been established by The Rockefeller Foundation, The Green Belt Movement and Kenya Community Development Foundation (KCDF).
The scholarship fund will be awarded annually, with the first cycle being granted during the 2013 academic year. In this first year, the tertiary education scholarship will be awarded to a young woman aged 18 to 25 years, who has demonstrated passion and personal commitment to environmental conservation. This individual must have also demonstrated their ability to successfully mobilize people and provide leadership in environmental advocacy.
- Young women of between the ages of 18 – 25 years.
- Kenyan citizens currently residing in Kenya
- The scholarship is limited to applicants who have enrolled in a Kenyan tertiary institution
- Ability to demonstrate the environmental conservation project(s) they have started or have been involved in and how those initiatives have impacted people in their community, in ways that have improved environmental health and sustainability, and the fund’s goals of achieving a greener, cleaner and a more sustainable community.
How to Apply
- You can download detailed application guidelines and application forms from here.
- In the application form, you are required to answer the following questions:
(a) “In not more than 300 words, please tell us about your civic engagement and leadership activities and achievements in environmental conservation in Kenya.”
(b) Who would you say has been influenced by your actions, how and with what impact? (200 words)
- Other questions bother on your research and course of study
- Please download the application form from the website and fill it as instructed
- Completed application forms (click to download) can be submitted by email to [email protected].
- Printed copies may be submitted to KCDF Offices in Pangani. Applicants must cross check with the checklist that all the required attachments are included; otherwise incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
Deadline: All applications either by mail or email must be received by 5.00pm, November 30, 2012
For more information, and to apply, click here