Construction Industry Solutions (COINS) invites applications for the COINS Grand Challenge for undergraduates, youngsters and entrepreneurs in the built environment in 2021.
The COINS Grand Challenge is a global competition to uncover innovators, entrepreneurs and leaders with ideas that can improve the built environment. There are two categories the Open Competition and the Undergraduate Competiton.
Do you have a viable idea that uses a new or emerging technology to radically reduce costs, increase efficiency or improve sustainability, quality or compliance during construction or throughout the built life cycle? Enter to win cash prizes, R&D funding, investment in your business and exposure to influential leaders.
What new and emerging technology will have the greatest impact on business in future years and how might those technologies be applied to the built environment, whether during construction or throughout the built life cycle?. They are interested in students from all over the world who are passionate about working within the construction industry.
They are on a mission to discover people from all over the world with innovative ideas that have the power to positively impact the built environment, and our society.
Worth of Award
- Enjoy travel and networking opportunities to the COINS User Conference 2021.
- $6,000 for the Open Competition winner
- $4000 for the Undergraduate Competition winner
- $3000 for the Open Competition runner up
- $2000 for the Undergraduate Competition runner up
- COINS is offering two special discretionary prizes for what it considers the most promising software-related submissions in the Grand Challenge. The winner will receive a 3-month internship and the runner up a 2-week work experience placement with COINS research and development to further develop their ideas
- COINS is offering a special discretionary COINS Investment Prize to the Open competition winner for what it considers to be the most promising idea or businesses. The winner of the COINS Investment Prize will be offered an investment of up to $100,000 USD in their business or to set up a business in order to further their idea
- The idea must meet all requirements for submission detailed in the Terms and Conditions.
- The applicant must present a clear case for how their idea will address the competition topic.
- The applicant must speak English fluently.
- The applicant must be 18 years of age or older on November 1, 2020.
- The applicant must be able to attend the Grand Final in Philadelphia, PA, USA on Monday, September 21, 2021.
- The applicant must be able to obtain legal entry to the United States for judging if selected as a finalist.
- The idea must be able to be applied to the construction industry.
How to Apply
- Application for this opportunity in online through their portal
- To enter the competition, you will need to select “Click here to apply”, which on selection involves 4 easy steps:
- STEP 1: Create a profile. All fields are mandatory and creates an application account for you.
- STEP 2: Select the Competition that you wish to enter i.e. Undergraduate or Open. Within each competition, the challenge that you are aiming to address is New & Emerging Technology.
- STEP 3: Create your Entry. For the Undergraduate Competition you will submit an 800 to 1000-word essay response to the Challenge on the form provided OR alternatively upload a 3 to 10 minute video. For the Open Competition, you will complete the online application form containing 9 questions, each with an allowable number of words.
- Step 4: Save and Finalise your Entry. You may SAVE progress on your application at any point and return to complete it up to the closing date of the competition. Once you SAVE & FINALISE your Application Form, the application is frozen so please ensure that you have worked the idea up fully before you make the final decision to select that option.
- N.B. You may find it helpful to write your entry offline, e.g., in Microsoft Word, and paste the final reviewed content into the application form.
- All dates shown on the website are in MM/DD/YYYY format.
- If in any doubt either contact them at [email protected] OR Refer to the Guidance Notes and Terms & Conditions on the COINS Grand Challenge website for more detail.
Deadline: applications close June 28, 2021.