The 2018 Young Champions of the Earth competition is open to applicants who must be between the ages of 18 and 30 on 31 December 2018 and must have at least 6 months of prior experience working on their environmental project.
In 2018, seven young people – selected from every global region – will be named Young Champions of the Earth. These winners receive seed funding, intensive training, and tailored mentorship to help them bring their big environmental ideas to life.
Following an open call for applications, UN experts will short-list 35 Regional Finalists who will be subjected to an online public vote, informing the selection of 14 World Finalists. A Global Jury will then select the seven 2018 winners.
Each winner will be expected to implement their big idea and keep us updated on their progress by producing videos and blogs that we will share on our website.
Worth of Award
Each winner will receive the following:
- US$15,000 in seed funding;
- Attendance at a high-level UN meeting;
- An introduction to dignitaries at the Champions of the Earth Award Ceremony;
- Publicity and recognition through online and global media;
- Access to a community of Covestro experts offering insights and mentoring; and
- Participation in an entrepreneurial training program provided by The DO School.
- More than just an honorary title, Young Champions of the Earth aims to nurture the next generation of environmental leaders.
- Up to 50 applicants who clearly articulate their skills requirements and demonstrate a strong willingness to learn will be granted privileged access to an online mentoring programme.
- They will be able to seek technical guidance and professional advice from a broad community of experts drawn from Covestro’s 16,000 global staff members. These mentors will share their experience through webinars, thematic online roundtables and individual support.
- Topics of strategic relevance such as communications, project planning and financial management, will be explored in depth with the aim of strengthening the viability and impact of mentees’ ventures.
- The engagement process between the mentees and Covestro will be facilitated by The Do School, an international platform fostering collaboration among leading corporations, experts and young talented individuals with the aim of encouraging innovation and making a positive social impact.
- To be eligible to enter the 2018 Young Champions of the Earth competition (hereafter referred to as “the Competition”), applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 30 on 31 December 2018.
- Additionally, each applicant must have at least 6 months of prior experience working on their environmental project.
- Individuals who submitted applications in the 2017 cycle of the Competition are entitled to do so again in 2018. However, only one entry is allowed per person per year.
How to apply
The 2018 application portal will open on 27 February and close on 2 April 2018. The selection process has three rounds.
- Each applicant will be required to submit responses to a series of questions and upload a referee’s letter of endorsement.
- A total of 35 Regional Finalists—drawn from every world region—will be short-listed by UN experts and requested to submit short videos pitching their big ideas. In mid-June, they will be subjected to an online public vote informing the selection of 14 World Finalists.
- In the final stage, a Global Jury will review the World Finalists’ big ideas and choose seven Young Champions of the Earth. The winners will be invited to attend the Champions of the Earth Award Ceremony in September 2018, at which point, their names will be publicly announced.
- The winners will be expected to implement their big ideas and provide progress updates in the form of videos and blogs that will be shared on this website.
Deadline: applications starts 27 February to 2 April 2018