The African Studies Committee invites applications for the ORISHA Studentship for research in the Humanities in Africa from persons who will be registered as graduate students of the University from October 2014. Students may be registered in any of the following disciplines: African Studies, Social and Cultural Anthropology, Archaeology, Development Studies, History, Human Geography, Literature, Politics and International Relations, Religious Studies. Proposals must include a major focus on Africa.
Worth of Awards:
- The scholarship will cover college and university fees and a maintenance allowance. The award is available for three-year doctoral degrees.
- Renewal for two and three year periods is subject to satisfactory progress. Overseas students are encouraged to apply for supplementary funds such as the Clarendon Fund, or other sources both in their home countries and in Oxford. (For further details of other awards, see the University website.)
- Applicants for the scholarship may be new candidates for admission to the University, or already registered as graduate students.
- Those applying to the University for the first time should ensure that their application for entry is made before the second application deadline (24 January 2014).
- The scholarship can only be awarded to a student who has been accepted for study at the University.
- Students from African countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must also satisfy all the admission requirements of the department they are applying to
How to Apply
- Interested applicants must first apply to the University of Oxford for admission to one of the course listed above
- New and continuing students should name St Antony’s College as their college of first choice on their University and scholarship application form. The scholarship alternates between St Cross and St Antony’s College.
- Please email a cover letter clearly stating the Department you have applied. This email should be received by the Administrator, African Studies Centre, [email protected]. For further enquiries candidates should contact [email protected].
Note: The University of Oxford academic admissions procedure is separate from that for this scholarship. For further details please see the University website.
Deadline: January 24, 2014
For more information, and to apply, click here