Visiting PhD fellows typically spend three consecutive months at UNU-WIDER before returning to their home institution. During their time in Helsinki, fellows prepare one or more research papers and present a seminar on their research findings. They may also have the opportunity to publish their research in the WIDER Working Paper Series.
Worth of Award
- UNU-WIDER provides a travel grant to cover the costs of travel to and from the location of your PhD granting institution,
- medical insurance (for medical and hospital services resulting from sickness and accident during your stay at UNU-WIDER),
- and a monthly stipend of EUR 1,600 to cover living expenses in Helsinki during the period of their fellowship.
- The programme does not cover expenses related to dependents.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a PhD programme and have shown ability to conduct research on developing economies.
- Candidates working in other social sciences may apply but should keep in mind that UNU-WIDER is an economics-focused institute.
- Candidates should be fluent in oral and written English and possess good quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills.
- Applications from suitably qualified early-career, female, and developing country researchers are particularly encouraged.
- The programme is especially addressed at researchers at later stages of their PhD.
How to Apply
- UNU-WIDER only receives online applications for the Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme twice each year.
- When applying in September, you would be visiting UNU-WIDER in the period of February-June of the following year and when applying in March, you would be visiting UNU-WIDER in the period of August-November of the same year.
- Please note that the link to the online application form will only become active one month prior to the submission deadline (e.g., application procedures start on 1 March and 1 September of each year).
- Selected applicants will be informed by email of the final decision within four weeks of the closing deadline. The selected applicants must confirm their decision to take up UNU-WIDER’s offer two weeks after being contacted.
- If you are interested in participating in this programme you should complete and submit the application form.
- As part of your application, you will be asked to upload your curriculum vitae. Your PhD supervisor will need to provide UNU-WIDER with a letter of reference, which should be emailed (by your supervisor) to the following address: phdreference(at)wider.unu.edu. The reference letter will also be used to certify that you are enrolled in a PhD programme at your university.
- Please note they do not receive applications by email or post.
Deadline: for submission of applications are 31 March and 30 September 23:59 UTC+3 each year.