Microsoft.com invites applications for Blacks at Microsoft Scholarships open to high-school senior of African descent (for example, African American, African, or Ethiopian) for the 2018/2019 academic session.
Blacks at Microsoft (BAM) is a company-sponsored employee network dedicated to supporting the continued growth and development of black employees at Microsoft Corporation.
Worth of Award
- This year, BAM will award three US$5,000 scholarships to outstanding high-school seniors who are interested in pursuing careers in technology.
- The scholarships are renewable, so winners who continue to meet the criteria can receive an annual $5,000 award for up to four years.
To be considered for a BAM Scholarship, you must:
- Be a high-school senior of African descent (for example, African American, African, or Ethiopian).
- Plan to attend a four-year college or university in the fall of the year following high-school graduation.
- Plan to pursue a bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, computer information systems, or select business programs (such as finance, business administration, or marketing).
- Demonstrate a passion for technology.
- Demonstrate leadership at school or in the community.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher.
- Require financial assistance to attend college.
How to Apply
To apply for a BAM Scholarship, print and fill out the application. Enclose it in an envelope with the following items:
- Two letters of recommendation. At least one letter must be from a faculty or staff member at your school. Letters of recommendation should be original and should not be duplicates of college recommendation letters. (Letters must be on letterhead.)
- Résumé. Your résumé should include the following information:
- —Extracurricular activities (school and community related)
- —Honors and awards that you have received (if possible, include awards that are technology related)
- —Work experience
- Picture of yourself.
- Transcript. Include an official “sealed” copy of your current academic transcript. (Unofficial copies will not be accepted.)
- Two essays.
- 1. In no more than 500 words, describe how you plan to engage in the technology industry in your future career. (If you have done exemplary work using technology during high school, please describe that also.)
- 2. In no more than 250 words, demonstrate your financial need for this scholarship.
Submit your application online Or Mail your completed application to the following address Seattle Foundation
- c/o BAM Scholarship
- 1601 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1900
- Seattle, WA 98101
If your application was returned, please mail it to the correct address above and scan your returned envelope and send to us via email to prove that you got your application in on time but it was returned.