As part of the” In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“ DAAD offers scholarships for PhD studies at the University of Gondar in Ethiopia for nationals or permanent residents of Sub-Sahara Africa for the 2018/2019 academic year.
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), as a publicly funded, selfgoverning organisation of the institutions of higher education in Germany, promotes international academic exchange as well as educational co-operation with developing countries through a variety of funding and scholarship programmes.
The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
Worth of Award
The scholarship covers:
- Tuition fees
- the regularly charged amount
- Study and research allowance
- 920,00 annually
- Printing allowance
- 1025,00 once within the last six months of the scholarship
- Monthly scholarship (Accommodation, Food etc.)
- PhD In-Country: 210,00 PhD In-Region: 230,00
- Travel allowance (In-Region only)
- The flat rate travel allowance will be specified in the letter of award
The scholarship will either be disbursed by the host institution, the German Embassy or will be paid directly to the scholarship holder´s banking account. Further details will be announced after admission to the scholarship programme.
DAAD In-Country/In-Region scholarship holders are also encouraged to apply for a research grant in Germany for 2 up to 6 months, if the necessary financial means are available. Please note: The short-term research stay in Germany should preferably be announced in the application for the regular scholarship.
The short-term research scholarship includes:
• a monthly scholarship payment for living costs which amounts to 1.000 € per month
• health/accident/personal liability insurance
• a flat-rate travel allowance
All further details regarding additional benefits and the additional application processes will be provided after admission to the scholarship programme.
- have successfully completed generally a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (upper forth of class)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent resident of Sub-Sahara Africa
should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector d) DAFI-Alumni (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative)
- The target group for scholarships are postgraduates from Sub-Sahara Africa with a Master’s degree who want to pursue PhD courses in their home country (so-called In-Country scholarships) or in another Eastern Africa country (In-Region scholarships).
- It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with University of Gondar by offering up to 3 In-Country/In-Region scholarships for PhD studies for the intake 2018.
How to Apply
Pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal and register themselves and submit an DAAD application.
1. Register online via the DAAD-Portal (if not already registered): https://portal.daad.de, Deadline: 22 March 2018
2. Apply online via the DAAD-Portal under the tab “Personal Funding“/ “Application“
Documents to be submitted:
– DAAD application form duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal)
– Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form ), including a list of publications (if applicable).
– Two recommendation letters by university teachers
– Letter of admission to the host university/ institution/network
– Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
– Letter of motivation (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
– Copy of the passport
– Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor
– Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and timetable (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
– Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal
Deadline: applications close 22 March 2018