The Niels Henrik Abel Board and the International Mathematical Union invite applications from mathematicians professionally based in developing countries to visit an international research collaborator for a period of one month in 2018.
In case the length of the visit exceeds one month, the candidate should provide evidence of financial support from the host institution to cover the living expenses beyond the first month.
The program is designed for post doctoral mathematicians in the early stages of their professional careers as a ‘research sabbatical,’ a necessary complement to teaching and other academic duties for mathematicians desiring to also sustain a viable research program. Usually up to 3 Grants are available per YEAR.
Worth of Award
The grant can cover for one month and only for the applicant:
- travel costs to the host institution (economy flight or equivalent) Please note that the flight will be booked and directly paid by the IMU Secretariat.
- accommodation expenses (monthly rent should not exceed 1,200 USD – in case you expect higher accommodation cost, please explain in your application the expected higher cost)
- travel health insurance
- Basic living cost (daily allowance based on living cost of the visiting country/city, This amount includes the cost for public transport and all other living costs).
- visa costs
- hold at the time of application a PhD in Mathematics,
- be based in a developing country at the time of application
- hold a position in a university/ research institution
- be in the early stages of their professional careers, more precisely: the applicants should
- not yet be of full professorial rank but have a working contract in a university/ college
- be under 40 years of age at the day of the application deadline.
- The maximum age may be increased by up to three years in the case of an individual with a broken career pattern. This should be noted in the application together with the reason for the broken career pattern.
- Applications from women mathematicians are strongly encouraged.
How to Apply
- The Abel Visiting Scholar Program is administered by the Commission for Developing Countries of the International Mathematical Union.
- Please always send your application form cc to “[email protected]”.
Your application can only be considered if all necessary documents have reached us by the deadline. Each application must include:
- The completed Online Application Form
- A curriculum vitae including a list of recent publications
- A research plan for the visit
- An official invitation from the institution of the international research partner
- One letter of recommendation If the letter of recommendation is not written by the international research partner (the host), the application should include a statement from the host approving the research plan.
- A copy of the PhD certificate
- A statement about the current employment status/ position in the home institution signed and stamped by your employer. The statement should include the duration of your employment
- A budget estimation. Please, use the Tentative Budget Form. (for more information see ‘Financial Support’)
- In case you are planning to stay for more than one month, you must attach a proof of the matching funds for your living costs from the host institution
- Please submit the completed bank information form in order to receive your funds.
- Please merge all required documents into one (1) PDF file.
The following deadlines apply:
- December 1, 2017 for research visits between May 1 – August 31, 2018
- April 1, 2018 for research visits between September 1, 2018 – December 31, 2018
- August 31, 2018 is for visits during January 1 – April 30, 2019
- December 31, 2018 for visits between May 1 and August 31, 2019