The United Nations mandated University for Peace (UPEACE) has announced the “Peace Builders Fellowship” for the academic year 2013-2014. This fellowship has been created to bring opportunities to young professionals who have an interest and commitment to peace, international cooperation, and conflict resolution.
UPEACE, based in Costa Rica, offers students a powerful academic and multicultural experience as they undertake studies in an intensive programme with fellow students from more than 50 countries, building strong social and professional connections on the way.
The one-year MA programmes are specialized in areas related to peace studies and provide field experience that will enable students to work in an international job market. Courses are taught by international faculty with recognized expertise in their area of study.
When finished, the students become part of a network of professionals in the field of peace who work in areas such as Human Rights, peacebuilding, conflict resolution, and education.
Available UPEACE Master’s Programmes
- Environmental Security and Governance
- Environmental Security and Governance – Specialization in Climate Change and Security (CCS)
- Gender and Peace Building
- International Law and Human Rights
- International Law and the Settlement of Disputes
- International Peace Studies
- Media, Peace and Conflict Studies
- Sustainable Natural Resource Management
- Peace Education
- Responsible Management and Sustainable Economic Development
- Sustainable Urban Governance and Peace
- ONLINE MA in Sustainable Peace in the Contemporary World
Worth of Scholarship: UPEACE will meet students from specific regions half-way by providing a 50% scholarship.
- You must have attained a bachelor’s degree (or the equivalence of a four-year bachelor’s programme)
- You should meet the other requirements including the following and supply relevant documents as part of your application package
How to Apply
You need to present the following materials to apply to apply to a UPEACE master’s programme. A complete hard-copy application package consists of ALL the following relevant materials:
- New on-line electronic application system
- English Proficiency Test Scores Report (TOEFL, IELTS)
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
- Official Undergraduate Transcripts and Copy of Diploma
- Curriculum Vitae or Résumé
- Financial Form
- Copy of Passport
- Visa Form
You can get details about each of these items on their website.
Deadline: July 31, 2013. Remember that this is different from the deadline for other financial assistance packages.
For more information about the fellowship, and to apply, click here
For a link to the master’s programmes, click here