Echoing Green invites applications for it 2013-2015 fellowship program which aims to support social entrepreneurs with financial and technical assistance to enable them build capacity and develop their ideas. Echoing Green’s world-renowned two-year Fellowship program provides more than $2 million in seed funding to a diverse group of the world’s most promising social entrepreneurs.
The two-year Echoing Green Fellowship program provide start-up capital and technical assistance to help new leaders launch their organizations and build capacity of their social enterprise. They offer:
- A stipend of $80,000 for individuals (or $90,000 for 2-person partnerships) paid in four equal instalments over two years
- A health insurance stipend
- A yearly professional development stipend
- Conferences led by organizational development experts
- Access to technical support and pro bono partnerships to help grow your organization
- A community of like-minded social entrepreneurs and public service leaders, including the Echoing Green network of nearly 500 alumni working all over the world
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for an Echoing Green Fellowship:
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older
- Applicants must have sufficient English fluency to participate in interviews and Echoing Green events
- Organization must be the original idea of the applicant
- Organization must be in a start-up phase. To be considered a start-up, the organization may have been in operation for up to two years, and Echoing Green’s financial support should qualify it as significant early funder. Applicants who have only worked on their organization on a part-time basis or have yet to start the organization are generally considered eligible
- Organization must be independent and autonomous. Organizations cannot be considered independent or autonomous if they are started under the direction of an existing organization. The applicant must be the primary decision maker for the organization’s development and management. Generally, organizations with fiscal sponsors are still considered autonomous
- Applicants must make a full-time commitment (minimum 35 hours per week) to the organization’s development for the duration of the two-year fellowship. It is expected that all selected fellows resign from their current employment to dedicate themselves full-time to their initiatives. Students will not be eligible for their fellowship stipend if their organization is put on hold due to conflicts with their studies
- Partnerships (organizations co-founded and led by two individuals) may apply. Both partners must meet all eligibility requirements and make a full-time commitment of no fewer than 35 hours per week to the development of the organization
- Applicants can be citizens of any nationality and their organizations can be based in any country. However applicants based in the US must have legal status to work in the US. If you are authorized to work in the US, but this status is granted to you through your current employer and you are only authorized to work for that employer, you are not eligible to apply for a US-based proposal
- Applicants must commit to attending Echoing Green’s training conferences if selected as fellows. All new fellows attend a conference in summer the year they are selected, as well as a winter conference for two years. Echoing Green covers all expenses related to these events and will announce the dates a few months prior to each conference.
- Purpose / Passion – Applicant exhibits strong passion and commitment for the program area in which they plan to work, as well as personal integrity
• Resilience – Applicant has demonstrated ability to overcome obstacles
• Leadership – Applicant has demonstrated leadership potential
• Ability to Attract Resources – Applicant is a “Resource Magnet,” capable of attracting money, people and other resources to cause
- The Organization / Idea:
• Innovation – Organization is innovative and demonstrates new approach
• Importance – Organization addresses serious social problem
• Potential for Big, Bold Impact – Organization has clear potential for tangible impact to the beneficiary population and either has potential for effecting systemic change (e.g., policy change, societal change, influence in their field) and/or demonstrates potential for replication and growth
• A Good Business Model – Organization has clear and compelling mission and objectives, and has given real thought to program development and delivery, ways to measure success, raising money, and other key factors indicating potential for sustainability
- Additionally, for applicants applying as a partnership, Echoing Green evaluates the strength of the partnership and the commitment of both individuals to the organization.
How to Apply
- Applications are accepted online where you will be required to submit some documents as part of the application process
- The Echoing Green Fellowship selection process is highly competitive. Applicants progress through three application stages with eliminations after each phase. By the end of the process, Echoing Green will have narrowed the 2500+ applications to 12-20 fellowships. The 2013 Echoing Green Fellows will begin their fellowship July 2013 and continue until June 30, 2015.
- The application dates are announced in fall each year with applications accepted during an open call in late fall / early winter.
- Note: If you experienced any difficulties with the application system, email [email protected] to notify them before the deadline so that your application does not get penalized for late submission.
2013 Echoing Green Fellows Application Timeline:
- Early December 2012: Phase 1 of application opens to all eligible applicants
- Early January 2013: Phase 1 of application close
- Early February 2013: Semifinalists announced and invited to complete expanded application
- Late February 2013: Semifinal applications due
- April 2013: Finalists announced
- May 2013: Finalist interviews in NYC
- June 2013: Fellows announced.
For more information, and to apply, click here.
You can apply online when the application opens in December through this link here