Applications are now open at the African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF) secretariat in Accra, Ghana for 2018.
AWDF is a grantmaking foundation that supports local, national and regional women’s organisations working towards the empowerment of African women and the promotion and realisation of their rights. By specialising in grantmaking and focused, tailored movement-building programmes, we work to strengthen and support the work of African women’s organisations.
AWDF’s work is guided by its five year strategic plan Shaping the Future (2017-2021). Under this plan, AWDF funds work focusing on three themes:
1. Body and Health Rights
2. Economic Security and Justice
3. Leadership, Participation and Peace
Worth of Award
- AWDF awards two cycles of grants (in the second and last quarter) each year. Applications can be sent in at any time, however the applications will be assessed for approval twice a year.
- Grant sizes vary per call. Please refer to the maximum grant sizes indicated in the call for applications you are responding to. Organisations applying for grants of US $20,000 and above will be required to provide audit report conducted by a reputable audit firm.
AWDF supports African women’s organisations that meet the following criteria:
- Women-led, with a majority women staff and board
- A stated commitment to supporting women and/or advancing women’s rights/ gender equality in their mission/vision
- Organisations registered in any African country, and working at the local, national, sub-regional or regional African levels. (Note that AWDF is not able to transfer funds to organisations based in Sudan, South Sudan or Somalia. However AWDF is able to support organisations based in other African countries that are implementing initiatives in these countries).
How to apply
- Interested organisations should send in their proposals to the AWDF secretariat in Accra, Ghana, using the grant application form.
- Applications can be sent in English, French, or Portuguese, by email, or post. Please note that we accept applications by email at [email protected]
Deadline: To be Announced.