The American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS), with financial support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York, announces competitions for: Dissertation-completion fellowships in Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania, and Uganda; and early-career postdoctoral fellowships in Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda, and South Africa.
Fellowship awards to promising African scholars are the centerpiece of the African Humanities Program. Approximately 40 such fellowships will be awarded annually. An initiative to publish the best manuscripts produced under the terms of AHP fellowships is now being established. All fellows will be encouraged to submit their completed manuscripts to the African Humanities Series, which will be a cooperative venture between AHP and a major African university press.
Worth of Awards: Stipends are $10,000 for dissertation-completion Fellows and $17,000 for postdoctoral Fellows, plus an additional $1,000 per Fellow for books and media. Other forms of support may also be available depending on scholars’ needs.
- Dissertation applicants must be doctoral candidates in the final year of writing the dissertation (No dissertation fellowships are available in South Africa)
- Postdoctoral candidates must be scholars who have obtained the PhD within the past eight years
- All applicants must be citizens of a sub-Saharan African country residing and working in Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, or Uganda
- Projects must be in the humanities and must be carried out in sub-Saharan Africa. AHP fellowships may not be used for travel outside the continent
- The list of humanities disciplines includes anthropology, archaeology, studies of the fine and performing arts, history, linguistics, literature studies, studies of religion, and philosophy.
- The intrinsic interest and substantive merit of the work proposed
- The clarity of the intellectual agenda
- The feasibility of the work plan
- The record of achievement of a postdoctoral scholar and the promise of a Ph.D. candidate
- The contribution the work is likely to make to scholarship on the continent and worldwide
How to Apply
- You should visit the website through the link below
- While on the page, download the application and recommendation forms on the right side of the page.
- Read all instructions carefully and complete them as directed.
- Then forward the complete forms via email to [email protected]
Application Deadline: November 1, 2013
If you have any question about applying, please email: [email protected] .
For information, and to apply, click here
To download the program brochure, click here