Heriot-Watt University in the UK invites applications a PhD Scholarship with focus on modeling ultra-low water usage sanitation systems for the 2018/2019 academic year.
The proposed PhD project directly addresses Goal 6 of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG): ensure adequate water and sanitation for all, and specifically focusses on ultra-low water usage sanitation provision at scale. The extent of the challenge is immense and the proposed research will concentrate on one element of ongoing research to adapt a building drainage modelling approach to simplified sewerage design in developing countries. The approach incorporates design, optimization and assessment of risk of failure of low cost small bore simplified sewerage systems using multiple methodologies to provide a design specific to a village level installation.
The PhD study will focus on modelling ultra-low water usage sanitation systems. The work will focus on a combination of 1-D finite difference fluid flow modelling and 3-D Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and Solid Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH) to optimise design methodologies.
Worth of Award
Scholarships will cover tuition fees and provide an annual stipend of approximately £14,500 for the 36-month duration of the project.
- Applicants should have a first-class honours degree or a 2.1 honours degree plus Masters (or equivalent) in a relevant subject, e.g. Building Services Engineering, Civil Engineering, or other numerate disciplines.
- Candidates with qualifications in microbiology with a good engineering aptitude may also be considered.
- The scholarship will be awarded by competitive merit, taking into account the academic ability of the applicant.
How to Apply
- Please complete our online application form. Please select PhD programme Construction within the application and include the project reference, title and supervisor on your application.
- Please also provide a written proposal, at least one side of A4, outlining how you would approach the research project.
- You will also be required to upload a CV, a copy of your degree certificate and relevant transcripts and one academic reference. You must also provide proof of your ability in the English language (if English is not your mother tongue or if you have not already studied for a degree that was taught in English).
- They require an IELTS certificate showing an overall score of at least 6.5 with no component scoring less than 6.0 or a TOEFL certificate with a minimum score of 90 points.
Deadline: application closes Friday, February 23, 2018