The Mwalimu Nyerere African Union Scholarship Scheme for 2018 is open to female citizens of African Union Member States who will apply for postgraduate level, Masters and PhD programmes in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
The Mwalimu Nyerere African Union Scholarship Scheme was launched in 2007 with
the aim of contributing to the production and retention of high caliber African human
capital for sustainable development of the continent in critical development areas, while
promoting regional integration through intra-Africa mobility of students.
The Scholarship Scheme is intended to enable young Africans to study in reputable African Universities with a binding agreement that beneficiaries will work in any African country for at least the same duration of scholarship period after graduation.
The following fields of study are eligible: Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics. The Masters programme should be of two years duration; while the PhD programme should be of three years duration.
Worth of Award
The scholarship award covers the following:
- Tuition Fees: According to an official invoice from the Host University.
Stipend: 500 US$ monthly, to support living expenses such as housing, food, utilities,
local transportation and medication.
- Book Allowance: An allowance of 500 US$ per year for the purchase of books.
- Air ticket: A round-trip economy fare for the most direct route between the
beneficiary’s home country and the study destination of host Institute.
- Travel Allowance: One-off payment of 250 US$ to contribute towards ground transportation from airport and settling-in costs
- One-off payment of 350 US$ to assist with shipping and other terminal
expenses; upon departure from the host Institution after successful
completion of the study.
- Computer Allowance: One-off payment of 1,000 US$ for the purchase of laptop
computer and accessories.
To be eligible for the Scholarship, a candidate must:
- Be a Female Citizen of an African Union Member State
- Be under the age of thirty-five (35) years for Masters Programmes, and under
forty (40) years for PhD Programmes.
- Be a holder of a Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field, at the level of Upper
Second Class Honours for a Masters’ Programme; and a holder of Masters’
Degree in the relevant field for a PhD Programme. The degree must be from
a reputable University
- Have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement as evidenced by
academic transcripts, and academic awards if any.
- Have proof of admission to undertake a full time Masters or PhD programme
in a recognized university of an African Union Member State.
- Be willing to commit to work in an African Union Member State on completion
of studies for at least three (3) years.
- No application will be considered without an admission letter from a university.
Note: In order to promote, intra-Africa student mobility, candidates are encouraged to
seek admission to universities in countries other than their own.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should complete the Application Form in PDF format as well as
the EXCEL Applicants’ Data Sheet, which are available on the Africa Union website. See link below.
The applicants should submit their formal application which should include the following:
- Completed application form
- Recent passport-size photograph
- Summarized CV with names and contacts of two referees.
- Certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts
- Certified copies of Passport or national Identity Card indicating citizenship
- Copy of admission letter from a reputable African University
- Two (2) Reference Letters with contact addresses.
- An essay of not more than 500 words that explains why the candidate has
chosen her particular field of study and its importance to Africa’s
- Note that Electronic Copies of all the above documents should be submitted.
- Applicants must scan and produce electronic copies of all the above documents (converted to PDF format) and send to the following e-mail address.
- [email protected] copied to [email protected]
- In addition, two (2) sets of hard copies of the above documents must be sent by post to the address below.
- Mwalimu Nyerere Scholarship Programme Education Division Department of Human Resources, Science and Technology African Union Commission P.O. Box 3243 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia CLOSING
Deadline: applications close 30th April 2018