IBM Research invites applications for the 2018 Great Minds student internships which is a competition for 3 to 6-month internships at one of the IBM Research Labs in Zurich, Nairobi, or Johannesburg for students from central and eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. It provides students with the unique opportunity to work alongside world-class scientists in the leading industrial IT research organization
The internships will take place in 2018. The exact starting time and duration will be agreed upon with the winning students individually, taking into account their academic commitments and the availability of IBM staff.
IBM will pay the winners a lump sum towards travel expenses as well as compensation that covers adequately the cost of living in Switzerland, Kenya or South Africa, respectively. IBM will also obtain the necessary visa and work permits for the successful candidates.
IBM Research is conducting the Great Minds internships for the 10th time. The experiences on both sides have been very positive. This program also benefits faculty members when the Great Minds winners bring back to their universities or departments a valuable understanding of real industry problems, knowledge of advanced IBM technologies, and contacts throughout IBM Research.
Worth of Award
- IBM will pay the winners a lump sum towards travel expenses as well as compensation that covers adequately the cost of living in Switzerland, Kenya or South Africa, respectively.
- IBM will also obtain the necessary visa and work permits for the successful candidates.
- The program is open to any full-time student enrolled in a Master’s program at a recognized university in central or eastern Europe, the Middle East or Africa.
- The students must have a solid command of the English language in both written and spoken form.
- IBM is an equal-opportunity employer and encourages applications from both genders as well as minority groups.
- They would especially like to encourage qualified women to participate in this competition. Eligible courses include:
- Computer Science,
- Electrical Engineering,
- Software Engineering,
- Industrial Engineering or
- Service Science
How to Apply
- Submit your CV and position paper (in English, PDF format) to your nominating professor.
- IBM University Relations managers in the participating countries and a committee of IBM technical experts will review the nominations received from the professors, from which they will select the best candidates at their discretion.
- The winners will start their internships in 2018 on a mutually agreed date. Please don’t forget to propose in your CV possible dates and duration (3–6 months) for your internship.
Deadline: applications close 16 February 2018. You will be notified by April 2018 whether you are one of the winners.