The European Commission invites applications for Lorenzo Natali Media Prize for journalists from all over the world for their outstanding works on development. For 2018 the Lorenzo Natali Media Prize will award a special thematic prize for submissions related to the elimination of violence against women and girls.
The Natali prize will acknowledge outstanding reporting on development issues and applications are open from 5 February to 9 March for online, print or audio-visual works.
It will reward outstanding reporting on issues such as poverty eradication, and the economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development, as outlined in the new European Consensus for Development.
The Consensus is an ambitious vision for the EU institutions and Member States’ development policy, which calls for better coordination and coherence in support of peace, the planet, people, prosperity and partnerships.
Worth of Award
There will be up to 11 winners. Categories can be left deserted if the quality is not met. The 11 winners are distributed as follows:
- Two winners (junior and senior) will be awarded per region
- (1.Africa 2.Arab World and the Middle East 3.Asia and the Pacific 4.Latin America and the Caribbean 5.Europe).
- They will receive a trophy and prize of EUR 5 000.
- A Grand Prize will be awarded in addition to one of the winners.
- The Grand Prize winner will receive an additional trophy and EUR 5 000.
- A Special Thematic Prize will award the best entry focusing on the elimination of violence against women and girls.
- The winner will receive a trophy and prize of EUR 5 000.
- The winners are expected to participate in the Award Ceremony to be held in Brussels on 5/6 June 2018.
- The European Commission will cover the cost of the winners’ travel to Brussels for the Award ceremony (in the case of jointly authored or produced items, please note that only one person will be funded).
The contest will be open to all journalists whose HQ media is based from one of these regions:
- Arab World and the Middle East
- Asia and the Pacific
- Latin America and the Caribbean
How to Apply
- The applicants can only submit their applications via the online form.
- Submitted journalistic works can either have one or several authors.
- Postal and email application will not be considered.
Deadline: application closes March 9, 2018, at midnight, Central European Time (CET)