Applications are currently open for the Ashinaga Africa Initiative Scholarship for Undergraduate Students who are orphans for the 2022/23 academic year.
The Ashinaga Africa Initiative (AAI) is an international leadership program that cultivates the next generation of leaders to contribute to the development of sub-Saharan Africa. AAI Scholars have lost one or both parents and are committed to returning to sub-Saharan Africa to initiate change, innovation, and development.
Worth of Award
The AAI provides access to full financial support to study at university abroad (equivalent to an undergraduate degree), including tuition, room, travel costs and other necessary fees.
The application is open to those who
- Have lost one or both parents.
- Have completed secondary school and received the results of their national Secondary School examination (technical and vocational degrees not accepted) within the last two years (any date after 2nd August 2020, including all of 2020 and 2021) or will have completed Secondary School and received final exam results before February 28th, 2023.
- Were born after 1st September 2000.
- Have citizenship and have completed/are completing high school in one of the below mentioned countries:
It is also open to those who
- Are proficient in English, French or Portuguese.
- Are regularly ranked in the top 10% of their class during their last 2 or 3 years of secondary school.
- Do not have the means to attend university abroad without external financial support.
- Are able to participate in the two Ashinaga preparatory programs, over the course of one year, before attending university.
- Are committed to return home, or to Sub-Saharan Africa, and contribute to society in Sub-Saharan Africa after graduating from university.
- Have no dependents who could interfere with academic progress.
- Have a good enough health condition to be able to study abroad.
Eligible countries include
Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, CAR, Cameroon, Chad, Comoros, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, DRC, Ethiopia, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea Conakry, Kenya, Kingdom of Eswatini, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Seychelles, Sudan, Tanzania, The Gambia, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
How to Apply
Documents to submit include photo or scan of
- Passport, National ID Card or Birth Certificate
- your most recent Secondary School Term Report/Transcript
- your final Secondary School Examination Results Certificate (if applicable)
Deadline: Accepting applications for the Ashinaga Africa Initiative Scholarship till January 20, 2023 23:59 (UTC).