Research topics offered to the students are drawn from the following traditionally separate fields:
- Biochemistry and structural biology
- Bioinformatics and computational biology
- Molecular and cellular biology
- Developmental biology and genetics
- Genomics and proteomics
- Microbiome science
- Evolutionary biology and ecology
Worth of Award
- All PhD positions are fully funded, usually through support contracts from the Max Planck Society or equivalent contracts from the University of Tübingen.
- The contracts include complete coverage by the German social security system, as well as health insurance. PhD students can expect to have a disposable income of at least 1200€ per month.
- Funding is usually awarded for three years in the first instance. Funding will be extended into a fourth year if warranted by the circumstances of the PhD project.
- There are no tuition fees. Enrolment (matriculation) at the University of Tübingen is optional and costs approximately 150 €/semester.
- Applicants should hold, or expect to hold, a degree in natural or computer science from a Masters, Diplom or equivalent program. Your current skills and knowledge should match well to your proposed area of doctoral research. To start in September 2019, all degree work must be finished by September 1, 2019. Feel free to contact the IMPRS Coordinator for additional information.
- Bachelors-only applicants: In rare cases, exceptionally talented students holding only a Bachelors degree may be admitted to the IMPRS. You should hold a 4-years honours degree, have excellent grades and possess extensive and relevant research experience. In such cases, additional study requirements – to be fulfilled during the first year of IMPRS participation – may be assigned.
- The participating institutes are committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in their workforce and therefore encourage applications from such qualified individuals.
How to Apply
- Apply Online: The online application to join in September 2019 is now open.
- Interviews: A four-day interview and discussion period will be held on April 8-12, 2019. Successful applicants will receive their invitation within 4 weeks of the application deadline. Travel expenses are reimbursed and free accommodation provided. Assistance with visa and travel arrangements is available.
Deadline: applications close February 15, 2019 (midnight CET). Successful candidates will receive an offer by April 18, 2019, and must reply by April 27, 2019 Starting date