Applications are invited by the University of Western Sydney’s newly-formed Institute for Culture and Society (ICS) (which incorporates the Centre for Cultural Research) for several PhD Scholarships. The ICS encourages theoretically-directed empirical research on the transformations in culture and society in the global era. The Institute is home to a number of internationally renowned scholars, contributing to the University of Western Sydney receiving the highest ranking for research quality – well above world standard – in Cultural Studies (Excellence in Research for Australia 2010).
Headed by Director, Distinguished Professor Ien Ang, and Research Director, Professor Tony Bennett, the ICS is especially interested in projects in the following areas:
- Cities and Urban Cultures
- Intercultural Dialogue and Transnational Culture
- Institutions, Governance and Citizenship
- Cultural Economy and Globalisation
- Heritage, Environment and Society
- Digital Research and Cultural Transformation
- Australian Cultural Fields
- Culture and Education
- Good Bachelor Honours degree (Class 1 or 2.1), or equivalent qualifications and/or experience
- Research or professional experience in a relevant field of humanities or social science
- Candidates with backgrounds in cultural studies, sociology, anthropology, human geography, cultural history, media and communication studies, Asian studies and other disciplines are encouraged to apply
- International students are welcome to apply
Value of Scholarship
- Tax-free stipend of AUD$33,728 per annum (indexed annually) and a funded place in the doctoral degree.
- Outstanding international applicants may be offered a tuition fee waiver.
Get More Information
- To discuss a project please contact Associate Professor Gregory Noble: [email protected]
- Contact the Office of Research Services to discuss enrolment and scholarships: [email protected], phone +61 2 4736 0966
- Find out more about the research being undertaken in ICS at http://www.uws.edu.au/ics
How to apply
- Submit an application form (PDF, 660Kb), research proposal and CV by the closing date.
Deadline: October 22, 2012
For more information, and to apply, click here