The University of Sussex in UK invites applications for the PhD Studentship in Bootstrapping open-ended activity awareness in wearable computing for the 2018 academic year.
A PhD position is available in the Wearable Technologies Lab (Dr. Daniel Roggen, ), part of the Sensor Technology Research Centre at the University of Sussex (UK). The position is in the field of Wearable/Mobile/Ubiquitous Computing and Activity/Context Recognition and is linked to the EPSRC research project “Lifelearn”.
The selected candidate will join an interdisciplinary research centre with state of the art computing and electronics facilities and a wide range of technologies at hand: augmented reality glasses, smartwatches, novel sensor technologies, ad-hoc sensor nodes, etc…
Some of the research areas you may come in contact during your PhD include signal processing, applied machine learning, data mining, big data, cloud services, crowd-sourcing, sensor technologies, mobile/embedded programming, human-computer interaction, etc.
Worth of Award
- The Scholarship includes a three-year stipend at a standard rate (currently £14,553 per annum) and, in addition, fees at the UK/EU rate.
- Since the scholarship only covers fees at the UK/EU rate any overseas applicants are kindly requested to state in their application how they propose to cover the difference between UK/EU and overseas fees.
- The ideal candidates will have a master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, mathematics, or equivalent.
- They have a very strong interest in research and outstanding technical skills.
- They have a passion to contribute to the development of next generation wearable systems, and a strong interest in research at the crossroads of signal processing and machine learning, embedded systems, sensor technologies and their applications.
How to Apply
- Apply for a Engineering PhD online via their website using thw step by step guide.
- In the ‘Finance information’ section of the application form clearly state the title of this scholarship
Deadline: applications close March 15, 2018