The Hungarian Government is currently accepting applications for the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship for international students to study at participating public universities in Hungary in the 2021/22 academic year.
The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme was launched in 2013 by the Hungarian Government. The main goal of the programme regarding the education policy is to support the internationalisation of Hungarian higher education and its constant development, to strengthen the international relations of the Hungarian academic and research community, to enhance the cultural diversity of higher education institutions and to promote the good reputation and competitiveness of Hungarian higher education throughout the world.
The Programme also aims to establish and encourage the personal and professional attachment of foreign graduates to Hungary and contribute to the promotion of Hungarian culture and language abroad.
Worth of Award
The scholarship covers;
- Tuition-free education – exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend – non-degree, bachelor’s, master’s and one-tier master’s level: monthly amount of HUF 43,700 (cca EUR 130) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies
- Accommodation contribution – free dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40,000/month to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period (Please note that if the student does not live in the dormitory, the HUF 40,000/month is a contribution to that rental costs, and in bigger cities – especially in the capital city – this contribution would not cover the full amount of rental costs.)
- Medical insurance – health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act LXXX of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65,000 (cca EUR 195) a year/person
- Applications will be considered eligible if the applicant is nominated by the responsible authorities of the Sending Partner.
- For full-time Programmes, students can apply from the following Sending Partners: Arab Republic of Egypt, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Federative Republic of Brazil, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Georgia, Islamic Republic of Iran, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Japan, Kingdom of Cambodia, Kingdom of Morocco, Kingdom of Thailand, Kurdistan Regional Government/Iraq, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lebanese Republic, Macedonia, Mongolia, Montenegro, Pacific Alliance (member states: Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Peru), Palestine, People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, People’s Republic of Bangladesh, People’s Republic of China (including the Hudec* scholarships), Republic of Albania, Republic of Angola, Republic of Azerbaijan, Republic of Belarus, Republic of Cabo Verde, Republic of Colombia, Republic of Cuba, Republic of Ecuador, Republic of Ghana, Republic of India, Republic of Indonesia, Republic of Iraq, Republic of Kazakhstan, Republic of Kenya, Republic of Korea, Republic of Kosovo, Republic of Moldova, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Republic of Paraguay, Republic of Serbia, Republic of Singapore, Republic of South Africa, Republic of the Sudan, Republic of the Philippines, Republic of Turkey, Republic of Yemen, Russian Federation, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, State of Israel, State of Kuwait, Syrian Arab Republic, The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Tunisian Republic, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Mexican States, United Republic of Tanzania.
How to Apply
- Fill in the online application form
- Motivation letter; Minimum 1 page, typed in Times New Roman 12 point letters written in the language of the selected study Programme or in Hungarian
- Proof of language proficiency and their translations in the language of the selected study
Programme or in Hungarian
- School certificates and their translations in the language of the selected study Programme or in Hungarian
- Transcript of Records and its translations in the language of the selected study Programme or in Hungarian
Deadline: Application closes on January 15, 2021.