African Institute for Mathematical Sciences(AIMS) invites applications for The AIMS Master’s degree scholarships in the mathematical sciences for 2018 academic session. It is a unique, innovative program providing problem-solving and computational skills as well as exposure to cutting-edge fields.
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is a pan-African network of centers of excellence for postgraduate education, research and outreach in mathematical sciences.
AIMS-South Africa is a centre for education and research in Cape Town, South Africa. AIMS South Africa was established in 2003 as a partnership project of the following 6 universities: Cambridge, Cape Town, Oxford, Paris Sud XI, Stellenbosch, and Western Cape. AIMS centres operate in Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon, Tanzania. and Rwanda.
Worth of Award
There are no course fees for successful Master’s degree applicants. Full bursaries covering tuition, accommodation, meals and travel costs are also awarded to successful applicants.
- Courses taught by outstanding African and international lecturers and supported by a team of resident tutors
- Students and lecturers sharing a 24-hour learning environment
- A climate of highly interactive teaching where students are encouraged to learn together through questioning and discovery
- Emphasis on computational methods and scientific computing with 24/7 access to computer labs and the internet
- A pan-African student body including a minimum of 30% women
- AIMS graduates progressing to top advanced degree programs and careers in Africa and all over the world.
- Applicants should hold, or anticipate completing by the start date of the AIMS course, a 4-year university degree in mathematics, or any science or engineering subject with a significant mathematics component.
- An applicant’s record should demonstrate strong aptitude in mathematics, leadership and community service
- Women applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Each applicant’s dossier will be evaluated in light of prior educational opportunities available to them. Potential applicants must demonstrate both a high degree of motivation and the ability to complete the course successfully. Applications open on 1 December, and Master’s degree applicants are strongly advised to apply before 20 March for courses beginning in August. Accepted applicants will be notified by May. Late applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Master’s degrees are awarded in partnership with leading local academic institutions affiliated with AIMS centers.
Deadline: applications close on or before 20th March 2018