The Kent State University in the USA invites applications for the International Student Graduate Assistance for the 2018/2019 academic year. Many graduate programs offer fellowships or one of three types of graduate assistantships: administrative, teaching or research. Students should first inquire about the availability of assistantships through their academic program.
Kent State University is a large, primarily residential, public research university in Kent, Ohio, United States. The university also includes seven regional campuses in Northeast Ohio and additional facilities in the region and internationally.
Worth of Award
Financial assistance at the graduate level is available in three forms.
- The first and most available is a graduate assistantship. In return for up to 20 hours of work per week during the academic year, the student will receive a tuition waiver and a monthly stipend.
- The second, a teaching or research fellowship, offers a full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend and allows students to focus exclusively on teaching or research rather than departmental duties.
- The third form is a scholarship that may require external funding or may involve university or departmental competition.
- International students are allowed to work a maximum 20 hours/week on campus.
- International students are not allowed to work off-campus without prior approval. Students should meet with an ISSS advisor in the Office of Global Education if they are interested doing this.
- Most assistantships are awarded to doctoral students and some programs fund 100% of their graduate students while others do not.
- It is important to contact the program directly to see how they structure their assistantships.
- Students wishing to apply for any of these should contact either the chair or the graduate coordinator of their major department.
How to Apply
- A general application is available at Financial Aid/Graduate Assistantships Page via their website. See link below.
- The application for a graduate appointment is included as part of your application packet for admission to Kent State.
Deadline: Deadlines will vary, please check with graduate department