The Macquarie University in Australia invites applications for PhD Scholarship in Medicine and Healthcare Intelligence (AI). The scholarships are awarded under the supervision of Prof Enrico Coiera and other experienced researchers at the Centre for Health Informatics.
The aim of this research program is to investigate the future role of AI in healthcare and its social, ethical and technical implications.
Potential topic areas include (but are not limited to):
- Privacy, safety and ethical issues arising from the development and use of AI technologies in healthcare.
- Understanding of consumer and clinician needs and perspectives when interacting with AI.
- The design, development and evaluation of (AI) systems that could support either clinicians or consumers across a wide set of tasks.
- Human-AI interaction design.
- AI systems design.
Worth of Award
The value and tenure of the scholarship is:
- The MQRTP full-time stipend rate is $27,082 per annum (in 2018) tax exempt, for up to 3 years (indexed annually)
- The scholarship is comprised of a Tuition Fee Offset and a Living Allowance Stipend
- The successful applicants will have the opportunity to work with a diverse team of highly experienced and internationally recognised senior researchers in the Centre for Health Informatics.
- International candidates are welcome.
- Additional top-up scholarships or part-time research assistant roles may be available for highly ranked candidates.
- To be eligible for a scholarship, applicants are expected to have a record of excellent academic performance and preferably, additional relevant research experience and/or peer-reviewed research activity, awards and/or prizes in line with the University’s scholarship rating guidelines. Refer to the Rating Scholarship Applicants section for more information about these guidelines.
- The scholarships would suit applicants from a wide variety of disciplines. For example, candidates with a background in Computer Science, Engineering, Human-Computer Interaction, Anthropology, Psychology, Sociology, Data Science, or a Health-related field would all be welcome.
- This scholarship is available to eligible candidates to undertake:Direct entry into a 3 year PhD program.
How to Apply
- Applicants are encouraged to discuss their candidacy before submitting an application. Initial enquiries should be directed to Professor Enrico Coiera ([email protected]) or Dr. Baki Kocaballi ([email protected]).
- Applicants will need to complete a HDR Candidature and Scholarship Application Form and arrange for two academic referee reports to be submitted to the Higher Degree Research Office. The application form and further information can be found on the Application page.
Deadline: Applications close by July 31, 2018