The ministry of Higher Education in the Republic of Zambia invites applications from suitably qualified Zambians to contest for Commonwealth scholarships tenable in
The United Kingdom for the 2018/2019 Academic Year. Only candidates meeting the minimum qualifications indicated below need apply.
Worth of Award
- This is a fully funded scholarship
- The scholarships are Twenty Nine (29): Eighteen (18) Masters and Eleven (11) PhD Commonwealth scholarships tenable in the United Kingdom.
To apply for these scholarships, you must:
(a) Be a Zambian;
(b) Be permanently resident in Zambia:
(c) Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2018.
(d) Hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honours standard (for Masters) or a second class degree and a relevant postgraduate degree (for PhD);
(e) Not be registered for a PhD, or an MPhil leading to a PhD, at a UK university before September/October 2018;
(f) Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship.
? Masters candidates who have taken any of their university education outside Zambia will be required to state how it was funded and how the education differed
from the one in Zambia;
? All PhD candidates must provide a supporting statement from a named supervisor
from at least one of the UK universities to which they are applying;
? Awards are no longer offered to complete PhD study already underway in the UK.
? Candidates are expected to state at least one, and are strongly advised to propose three institutions of study on their application form. The final decision on host institution will be made by the CSC. Candidates are strongly advised to submit independent applications directly to their preferred institutions in advance of their scholarship application. Where formal offers of admission have been obtained, these should be submitted together with the applications;
? Candidates must apply to UK universities which have part funding agreements with the CSC. For a list of universities that have agreed to part fund Commonwealth Scholarships.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit:
- A typed letter of application responding to the advertisement, clearly stating the field of study desired, age, phone number for easy communication.
- Curriculum Vitae certified photocopies of Education certificates, transcripts and National Registration Card (NRC).
- A study plan of the preferred course and how the intended course of study will
enhance one’s contribution to Zambia’s development (400 words typed).
- Recommendation letters from their respective employers indicating that they would be granted leave to take up offers if selected.
Please note that applications will be graded on the following criteria:
- Academic merit of the applicant
- Quality of the study plan
- The potential impact of the work on the development of Zambia. It is a requirement by the host country that all nominated candidates undergo comprehensive medical examinations including the HIV test.
- In order to promote equal opportunity, gender equity and cultural exchange, applications are encouraged from a diverse range of candidates. Nominated candidates must note that last minute withdrawals will attract serious sanctions from the Board which may include being blacklisted.
- Applications should be addressed to: or Hand delivered to:
The Director Room 23 (Registry) Higher Education Loans and Scholarships Board Maxwell House, Annex Building
P.O. Box 50464 Los Angeles Boulevard, Longacres LUSAKA LUSAKA
Deadline: Applications close on Friday, January 19, 2018